Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#449028 10/17/20 11:52 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Unfortunately it looks like I have some people in my new neighborhood paying a little too much attention to my auto and for the first time I'm feeling a need to add some security system(s) to old yeller. I think just a basic remote arm system would do, not interested at all in remote start or unlock. I'm not familiar with modern alarm systems, but here's what I 'think' I need...

- Door switches for all 5 doors (rear hatch). Probably a PITA to install but that's only an initial idea.

- 'Bump' alarm (not sure what it would be called) for if a window breaks or if something is jarred

- Geo-location function like a low track or something similar

Additionally I'd like to install possibly 2 start kill switches. I'm not sure where inline these are normally installed but my impression is that directly in line with the key ignition switch would be common. But then what if someone jumps the starter with a screwdriver...would this type of switch work in that instance? So that leads me to the idea of a second ignition kill switch which would either be wired between the battery and starter motor, or between the starter motor and ground.

And last...security lugs.

So am I over thinking this here? What's your recommendation for what I really need and maybe a good but economic alarm system that can get this done?

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have you thought about just using a flood light that is motion activated, maybe with a camera.

Assuming that the car uses points, a simple security switch would connect the positive side of the coil to ground. Open the switch to start the car. Close the switch and the car won't start. Placement depends on the type of car and wiring. But I think that this type of switch would be adequate since most people have no idea how to hotwire a car.

This post is guaranteed to be 100% content free!
'31 Special Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Can you describe the vehicle that you are trying to secure? The more embedded electronics there are in a vehicle the more complicated it is to install aftermarket security systems.

The other factor to consider is the "parasitic" electrical drain of security systems. If the vehicle sits too long some will discharge the battery below the voltage necessary to make the car start.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
NONONO
A hard ground on the + side of the coil will short the ignition circuit to ground and blow a fuse or melt a wire.
What you want is a switch from coil neg to the dist, in series with the coil primary
When it's open, no current can flow in the coil primary circuit.
You could use a switch from coil neg to ground, which would short the points and prevent spark, but has the disadvantage of putting current through the coil primary anytime the ign is on. This may or may not overheat the coil.
Keeping the rotor button in your pocket would work too.
Maybe if you take your 12ga out in the yard for some target practice it would have some discouraging effect.
WL

Wilson

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.