Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jmmmn37 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am working on a 1951 Suburban in which a previous owner installed a 1952 235 ci engine. The carburetor on the engine looks to be a Rochester B, 7007181--with automatic choke (I realize that carb was generally used on passenger cars in 1956, etc.). The engine seems to run well--I've taken it for short spins, but mostly I start it in order to move the truck in and out of my work shed, while I work on other aspects of the truck. Gas is currently supplied from a small auxiliary tank, until I get a new tank installed and fuel lines run, etc. If the truck is not started for a day or two, it usually takes a squirt or two of starting fluid into the carb throat to start it up; it then usually starts right up and runs rough for a few seconds (while I pump the accelerator on and off), then smooths out and idles well.

All my other old Chevrolets have manual choke carburetors--this is the first automatic choke that I've worked with. Here's my question: looking straight on at the carb from the radiator, there are two threaded nipples on the auto choke--one on the bottom right side, which is connected to a tube that runs from the base of the carburetor. The other is on the left side at 9 o'clock. Currently on my carb, there is nothing attached there. I don't see any line that would/should seem to attach there--what should be attached there? The line from the vacuum advance is currently running into the base of the carb and is attached accordingly. What am I missing?

I have tried to attach a picture, which I hope comes across. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Images
IMG_2207.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 25,000
"there is nothing attached there"
A tube runs from the heat stove on the exhaust manifold to the automatic choke thermostatic spring. With no heat the choke will never open up. The heat stove clamps around the manifold. Years ago I bought a kit from NAPA. There is a slight vacuum in the tube to move the heat to the choke.
To cold start a car with an automatic choke it is necessary to depress the gas pedal about 1/2 way first. This allows the choke plate to close and pulll up the fast idle cam. As the choke slowly warms up the idle should drop..
I have an automatic choke on my 1950 and it starts and runs perfectly.

The carburtor pictured would be from a 1953 Power Glide or a 1953-1955 standard trans. car due to te plastic coke cover.

Gene Schneider
jmmmn37 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Dear Gene,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the valuable information. I hope I can find a suitable kit--I'll check my NAPA and also the aftermarket Chevy dealers. If someone else has recently acquired such a kit, I would appreciate hearing the source.

Much appreciated.

Jim

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The 3 screws around the plastic cover allow you to adjust the choke.

With the aIr cleaner removed you should see the choke plate snap closed when you open the throttle about half way on a cold engine.

As the engine warms up the warm air will go up the tube and act on the thermostatic spring. As the spring gets hotter it should open the choke plate. When the engine is at operating temperature the plate should be fully open.

You can loosen the 3 screws and turn the plastic cover the appropriate direction to make sure the choke plate is in the correct position.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
jmmmn37 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Rusty,

Thanks for the info. I checked and my choke plate does snap closed when the throttle is opened. Upon closer inspection, I also discovered that the clamped portion of the choke stove is still on my manifold--the connecting tube has been removed and discarded. I ordered a kit at my NAPA and will pick it up this afternoon. The kit has the connecting pipe and correct attaching nuts, etc. So, I should be in business soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Jim

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Great plan! Let us know how things work out.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello jmmmn3: could you give the NAPA part # for that "kit""
Thanks David

jmmmn37 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
David,

The NAPA info is as follows: "Choke Stove Universal"; part no.: 610-1116. The kit contains a "stove" (which is half-round rather that flat like my original, but should still work), a clamp for the stove, a tube, a fabric sleeve for the tube, and a compression washer and nut. Less than $10.

Jim

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Jim: Thank you for the part# for the "Choke Stove Universal" kit
David

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bishop, Chev Nut, THH, bowtiefan, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.