Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jimbula Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Does anyone know where I could get preformed ( prefer stainless) brake lines for my 1951 Chevy, 4 door, styleline deluxe, standard shift.

Eckler's and Chev's of the 40's say they have it but are the wrong parts. I ordered and had to return. There are 6 brake lines.

Thanks, Jim

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would never even consider installing stainless steel lines.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
You might try https://www.inlinetube.com , I purchased mine there but they
were not s.s. hood

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Try www.nationalchevyassoc.com. I got ss lines for my 51 hardtop from them a few years ago. Knowing what i do now I would not get the stainless lines as they are hard to install without having leaks, I have not installed mine yet and a friend suggested using copper seat seals so may try that .

Steve D
jimbula Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
what is the problem with stainless steel brake lines??

Last edited by jimbula; 10/06/20 03:30 PM.
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Too rigid and very difficult to make the joints stop leaking.

You can purchase brake lines prebent that are not SS.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

jimbula Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ok I'm giving up on SS brake lines.

I tried , Eckler's, Inlinetube, Chev's of the 40's and they do not make one for my car.(Eckler's and Chev's of the 40's uses Inlinetube for brake lines)

The Filling Station said they could make steel lines if I ordered them for $150 plus $50-$100 shipping. I asked if they have a record of brake lines being made successfully for my car. He said he could not verify. End of that.

The National Chevy Assoc. makes the exact fit in SS only. I asked why no steel lines? He said they stopped making steel brake lines years ago because SS sold 10 to 1.

So, if someone has a company in mind that makes preformed steel lines for my 1951 Chevy, I would appreciate the information. Thanks

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Here is what I do:
Look at the parts manual for group 4.685 That shows all the brake lines and their lengths in inches.
Now go to your local NAPA or other your favorite local auto parts store and buy about 4 each of all the brake lines you need. Buy the ones with fittings already installed unless you want to expand your tool collection with an expensive brake flaring tool set you probably won't ever use again. The store won't have the exact lengths you need, so buy the next longer tube. Make sure the tubing diameter is correct, most likely 1/4 inch.
Do buy a tube bending tool.
Remove your old brake lines and use them as patterns. If you don't have them, use some large gauge copper wire to model how the brake lines should run.
Start bending your new tubing using the old lines or the pattern as a guide. You will make mistakes, so that is why you bought several pieces. Install the lines. Don't sweat it if the lines are not beautiful - most of us, and most the judges, will never see your handiwork! All we care about is that they don't leak!

jimbula Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ok...I got my 1951 chevy styleline back on the road. THANK YOU all that responded to my problem.

I took parts of everyone's advice and here is what I did.

1. I totally gave up on Stainless Steel brake lines. NO one was in favor of them because of leaks and difficult to bend.
2. I pulled all my old brake lines off. They either were leaking or about to leak.
3 .I bought ready made steel lines close to what length I needed. I used them as a template to form new lines. I already owned bending tools.
4. 3 lines I used as is with extra bends to take up the too long length.
5. 3 lines I used a brake line cutter to take off way too long length and bought a double flare tool from Napa for about $20 and created 3 new double flares.
6. I was able to order the spring coil wrap (rock guards) for the 2 front brake lines from Amazon for around $10.00
6. I also replaced the master cylinder (leaking) with a new one and all the wheel cylinders (3 leaking), brake shoes, all springs etc. and all the hoses.
7. My car is original with 42000 miles. All parts I pulled off were as they came from the factory except someone had changed the brake shoes but not the hardware.

I did have to go to several different vendors to get the correct parts. Some of the brass brake line connecting parts are NOT AVAILABLE. So be EXTRA CAREFUL when installing the new lines.

I've been driving it daily for a couple weeks now. Stops great, no leaks, no problems.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
That sounds like you did everything right..... yipp

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
If your car is all original I would be concerned with using the rubber hoses over. Yes the brass fittings are special and hard to come by but National Chevy does list them and my two year old catalog says they are $48.00 each.Ouch!

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.