Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Need a reasonable color match for a COMPLETE RE-PAINT of my 1928 Coach Body color -----AVENUE GREEN Dupont No. 2445167-----. Original paint is faded and weather worn, so it is not ideal for attempting a color match.

---Does anyone have a modern paint company and paint code #?

---Also, what quantity of paint should I purchase to ensure enough for a COMPLETE repaint of the original green body panels only?

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If you have a patch of the original paint from a unweathered part most good paint shops will be able to scan and match from there.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
A couple of areas where you might find some unweathered paint are (1) under the cowl band and (2) under the "front of dash" paint "firewall front surface". On the enclosed body style Chevrolet vehicles (those assembled by Fisher Body) during that era had the front surface of the firewall painted black. Try taking a little rubbing compound and remove the black paint adjacent to the cowl band. I found enough original paint over spray, of the original body paint, on a '28 Sport Cabriolet Convertible I restored to use for a paint match. Since the cowl was off the vehicle I took the whole unit into the paint store. The store gave me a good color match.

Last edited by Oldie; 10/01/20 08:32 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You should google up Autocolor Library, a unit of TCP Global. They have the codes and can match most any collector car color. I have used them several times with good results. I dialed them up for 1928 Avenue Green, and it came up immediately. Try this link:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1928-Chevrolet.html#parentHorizontalTab2

Good luck!

Jim

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jim,
Thanks for the link. What quantity of paint would be adequate to order to provide to my painter to do the body of my 1928 Coach?
Thanks,
Todd

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Todd,

The amount of paint needed will depend on several variables. I don't know a lot about 1928 Coaches, but from what I have seen, many are painted with the main color on the body, with fenders, running boards, and sometime roofs in black (or contrasting color?). Obviously that would cut down the quantity of the body color. If you are painting the undersides of your fenders, running boards, hood, trunk lid, etc., the same color, that will also add to the amount of paint needed. Also, I'm not sure if you want to do a single stage acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane, or a 2-stage base-coat clear coat. In any case you will want at least 2 or 3 coats of each color to be applied on the car.

If you're using 2 colors, I would estimate that you will need at least 2-3 quarts of each color; if doing one color, certainly more. My 1938 panel truck (which has MUCH MORE surface area than your 28 Coach) required well more than a gallon of the body color. In any case, it would be best to order as much or a bit more than you need--even batches that are mixed according to a specific formula can show slight differences in tint and shade if they are mixed on different occasions.

If you are having it done by a professional painter, he will certainly be able to estimate the amount of paint needed when he sees your car in person. As you undoubtedly know already, good paint is very expensive, so you want to be sure you have a good game plan, then order your paint accordingly so that you don't have problems down the line, having to re-order, etc.

One final note about TCP Global and the Autocolor Library. As I said, I've had great success using their services and paint, but they do require a week to 10 days to mix your paint and then send it out--certainly not as convenient as going down to a local NAPA or similar and having a batch mixed up on the spot. So plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Jim

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
TCP is a very good source for paint. NAPA may be able to mix the paint but I doubt PPG or Sherwen Williams or DuPont will have the formula.

Jon T.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.