Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#431909 10/01/19 07:09 PM
perez Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
What is a nice original 1955 Chevy Belair hardtop worth. not running, has original paint and interior. Plastic covers on seats. Continental kit, fender shirts, bumper rap arounds,

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

CDP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Priceless

CDP

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Unfortunately not near as much as the owner probably thinks. While auctions are the true indicator of the value of a particular car at the time of that transaction, those results cannot and should not be extrapolated across all similar cars. Plus owners do not account for the costs of putting a car in a major auction.

There is a lot of risk in the purchase of a non-running car. The owner will always understate how long it has been since it was running. And it was always running great then! And all it needs is fresh gas and a charge on the battery. And let's ignore the fact that the tires are 15+ years old.

Sorry to be somewhat skeptical in my response. It is heavily based on my experiences in the last few years selling "non-running but ready-to-go" cars from an estate. The best we ever could get for great looking cars was about 2/3 of the value for similar cars that were drive-able. Most of the time it was 50%.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Rusty 37 Master
Unfortunately not near as much as the owner probably thinks. While auctions are the true indicator of the value of a particular car at the time of that transaction, those results cannot and should not be extrapolated across all similar cars. Plus owners do not account for the costs of putting a car in a major auction.

There is a lot of risk in the purchase of a non-running car. The owner will always understate how long it has been since it was running. And it was always running great then! And all it needs is fresh gas and a charge on the battery. And let's ignore the fact that the tires are 15+ years old.

Sorry to be somewhat skeptical in my response. It is heavily based on my experiences in the last few years selling "non-running but ready-to-go" cars from an estate. The best we ever could get for great looking cars was about 2/3 of the value for similar cars that were drive-able. Most of the time it was 50%.

I fully agree with Rusty........
hood

Last edited by p.k.; 02/18/20 05:14 PM.

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000

If it's your car and you're looking to sell, invest a little time and money in getting it running well. As the previous posts state--you gain a third to a half more in value.

If you're looking to buy, the value is harder to nail down. Pretty much what the market or people will pay. It seems to be dropping as the folks who love these cars are dying off and younger generations only care about their smart phones or tuner cars and Beemers at best. Check out other websites such as hemmings.com, old car guides, etc.. to get a ball park idea.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.