Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am putting a 350 small block into a 1936 Chevy, found great motor mount and transmission mount conversion kits from Heidts motor and transmission are complete.

I have a header vs. steering column issue because the headers are in the way, I did see some kind of joint that redirects steering column, can someone help me with this.

What is the item called, where to locate and do I need a custom steering column?

Thanks again...

Last edited by Slantback; 09/12/20 05:05 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Slantback,

Most of the VCCA's forums discuss restoration and preservation.

There is a special area of the VCCA for folks who are doing or who like modifications, though. I suspect that your questions will get more eyeballs and responses in that area. Here's a link to the Personalized Modifications forums: Personal Modifications forum

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I expect that you are looking for universal joints to put into the steering shaft.

They can only be used with an open shaft. The original steering in a ”˜36 is a shaft enclosed in a tube.

I expect that it could be made to work. It will take some cutting, welding, and fabrication.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Slantback,

When I first got my now-restored '36 PU in 1965 I pulled the original engine and put in a sbc and 4-speed B & M hydramatic. To avoid header-steering interference I made my own headers copying the Doug's Headers "Tri-Y" design. That was a quick and easy solution, much easier than modifying the steering. Exhaust port and collector flanges and mandrel bent U-bends were and are plentiful and inexpensive and make header fabrication easy.

The engine and transmission mounts I made bolted to the frame and cross member so that when I restored the '36 I could weld and grind smooth the mounting holes and today it's not possible to even tell they were once there.

You can do it!

Ray W

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Look online for Borgeson (sp?) u-joints. They specialize in hot rod steering adaptation. They carry u-joints, intermediate bearing supports, shaft material, etc. Yes, you will have to cut off the original and fabricate a new steering shaft assembly using their parts.

.bjb

To the world, you're just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.