Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#446417 08/15/20 02:22 PM
Stovblt Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I hope it's alright to sing the praises of a parts source here as I just have to relate a great buying experience I just had.

I was looking for front springs for my 1946 3/4 ton but only one source listed a difference between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton, and it wasn't one of my preferred sources. And there is a difference! Eight leaves versus 7 and only the top 2 leaves the same thickness.

So I phoned The Filling Station and talked directly to Stephen. He didn't know there was a difference but said he'd phone his supplier. He called back to say they Are different, and his supplier had the original factory specs to go by, and he'd learned something new that day. His supplier even told him they are a 2 stage spring, which told me he knew his stuff!

I figured there would be differences in the details like the type and placement of the clips etc, but they are under the truck and not really visible anyway. So I went ahead and ordered the springs and Stephen said they would ship direct from the manufacturer to me in Canada.

I got them the the other day and they shipped from a shop in the midwest that's been making springs since the 1930's.
From what I can see they are Exactly like the originals! The same wrap at the ends, the right bushing types, the right number of leaves of the right dimensions, and even the exact same number and style of clips. And they look to be the right camber although I won't know for sure until I get the weight of the truck on them. And they are made in America!

So if you're looking for an exact spring that doesn't seem to be listed elsewhere, or any spring for that matter, I recommend a call to The Filling Station.
Ole

Ole S Olson
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There are a couple places in the USA that can do springs and there is even a spring service over in Greenville S.C. that do them but I haven't been over there in a couple years......perhaps they order them from the same place.....Its Spring Service off White Horse Road if any are reading here from S.C.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Coupe
1953 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than ride in a Ferd.
Stovblt Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Achipmunk
I know many places do springs, including up here on the Canadian prairies.
But in my experience not too many places care about exactly replicating the type and placement of the clips.
And, there are 3 different thicknesses of leaf on this spring and they got them all. And in the right places too.
These springs came out of a shop in Detroit by the way.
Ole

Ole S Olson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (CarDC, Nick_in_Manitou, JEC51, m006840, Jeff1951), 65 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,053
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.