Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
davids Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1929 with a stock temperature gauge that does not work. How do I tell if the problem is the gauge OR the sending unit(it is electric not bourbon (sp) tube)?
any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :
Thank you
David

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The sender unit actually has four temperature actuated switches that change resistance. It can be checked with an ohmmeter and a bowl of hot water. As the sender sits in the water and heats up the resistance will change as the switches activate. I believe you will see four resistances, one cold and the other three as it heats up.
The gauge is a straight voltage affair so with a variable DC supply (0-6Volts) you can see the gauge change as the voltage changes. Alternatively you could use 1.5 volt batteries and apply 1.5, 3, 4.5 and 6 volts by putting them in series and see if the gauge works.

Last edited by cabboy; 07/09/20 09:07 AM.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
See page 34 of the August 2014 G&D for part 1 of a detailed article on how this one-year-only temperature gauge and sender works.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
does anyone have a copy of that article ??
would be nice to have on hand for reference for 1929 Owners
maybe we can scan it in and put it in the Tech Library ?!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
does anyone have a copy of that article ??
would be nice to have on hand for reference for 1929 Owners
maybe we can scan it in and put it in the Tech Library ?!
It's in the online G&D mags already. Just look up August and September 2014. Another reason to join the club for access to past magazines and articles. E-membership is only $25.

Last edited by cabboy; 07/10/20 08:13 AM.
davids Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
cabboy
I am going to try your testing method,but I would like to read the article that is in the G&D-August & September-page 24. I do not know how to look up that item,could someone post a link to that article?

Thank you

david

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi David,

I see by your profile that you are a VCCA member, so you are entitled to have access to the online magazines. But first, you need to get one of the forum Moderators to sprinkle magic dust on your username so you can access all the Member Only areas of the web site.

I'll send one of them a Private Message to do so.

When you get the privileges, go the VCCA home page (https://vcca.org/default.aspx) and then go over to the Members Only tab and under that you'll see a link to the G&D Magazine page. On that page, you'll see links to each of the online magazines and two of them are the ones you want.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
yes you need 2014-8 pg 34-35 & 2014-9 36-37

it is a 2 part article, both 2 pages each.

printed out a copy and put in my folder for the 29 !!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
davids Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello : I grounded the wire from the gauge to the sender and the dash still did not move.I can only recon that the coils in the dash gauge are history. I would like to find a gauge to replace that gauge--cosmetics are not important as long as the needle moves.
I need a temp gauge so I do not over heat the engine--it is not T model ford that one can get away with doing that to. Any help is/and appreciated. LETS get this on the road so the Grandkids and can have fun.
Thank you David(POPS)

PS: cab boy did you find the gauges that you said in your post "I FOUND ONE BOX, BUT WHILE THERE ARE WORKING GAUGES THEY ARE NOT COSMATICALLY GOOD" If that is correct I would to buy it!
Yours David (POPS)

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The coils do burn out . When JD rebuilt my gauges he went through many many no good gauges until he found one he could repair. I think they burn out when people try to jump start with 12 volts. I wish someone would furnish new coils. Check in the G&D magazine to see who rebuilds gauges.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.