Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,
I have a 1957 Panel Wagon with a 1955 Front clip. I am undecided which route to take on it. It has a Camaro sub frame and rear. All new brakes. I am wondering if anyone has a estimated figure on what it cost to restore a panel Wagon? The bodywork is in pretty good shape. Just needs block sanding to finish it on off. I have a LS 5.3 drivetrain ready to drop in. The internals all all gutted. Wiring ,seats,floor pan,etc. I’m just asking for modest opinions. Not sure if I want to go threw such a tall build? I’ve restored several cars in the past. Just never a 55-57. So I’m kinda on the fence. I really like this vehicle cause of the personality. Just hope I’m not in over my head.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mgreen, "estimated figure on what it cost to restore a panel wagon" starts out merely being like a weather forecast. It depends on many things. While I've noticed over the years not many people are willing to "discuss" money I'll share a little of my experience restoring a 52 1/2 ton panel which, by the way was so bad it should have been crushed.
After 6 years and a complete frame off resto I had put a little more than $18,000 into the panel in 2005 to 2012 money. Except for the paint, and most body work I did all the work myself in my shop. This was also using an engine I had only 300 bucks in it, an 400 in a 700R4 transmission. Included new floor pans, cowlings, running boards and hunting down parts in a U-Pull-it yard. Everything new, or rebuilt.

I think you get the picture. Sounds like your panel is in much much beter shape than mine was but I do suggest doing some homework and writing down expenses expected. If your not dedicated to spending what it will take then don't start until you are. For most follks doing a "complete" restor I tell them if they don't have about 20 grand to start a major job don't start it and have a pile of parts to look at every time you come home from work.

Hope this helps in some way. I drove my panel for 7 years after resto and enjoyed every minute of it. Drove it on many long trips. Only sold it to thin the herd down.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Coupe
1953 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than ride in a Ferd.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Great advice and inputs from AChipmunk. And thank you for soliciting our ideas.

You are asking the right questions at the right time: Before you start! As you know from your experiences this is not a hobby that allows you to get a return on your investment. And there will be challenges and frustrations along the way.

The lesson I have learned from this and the other automotive forums I use is very simple: Do a project only when the vehicle is one you want to enjoy.

This week I was offered at almost no cost a 1967 MG Midget. It needs full mechanical restoration as well as a lot of body work due to rust. Plus an interior. I passed mainly because the car has no interest to me. In other words, if I am going to spend that kind of money and effort, I want it to be for a vehicle I want to own.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I really appreciate the good advice. I’ve restored GTO’s for years this would be my first 50’s model vehicle to restore. I really dig the panel truck. I really want to make a nice driver. Not a huge build but I do expect bumps along the way. My other question I have for anyone with knowledge. ? What sheetmetal will interchange? As far as floor pans? Thanks for all the good advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.