VCCA Home
Posted By: Mgreen0104 57 Panel truck with 55 Front clip - 06/24/20 09:55 PM
Hi,
I have a 1957 Panel Wagon with a 1955 Front clip. I am undecided which route to take on it. It has a Camaro sub frame and rear. All new brakes. I am wondering if anyone has a estimated figure on what it cost to restore a panel Wagon? The bodywork is in pretty good shape. Just needs block sanding to finish it on off. I have a LS 5.3 drivetrain ready to drop in. The internals all all gutted. Wiring ,seats,floor pan,etc. I’m just asking for modest opinions. Not sure if I want to go threw such a tall build? I’ve restored several cars in the past. Just never a 55-57. So I’m kinda on the fence. I really like this vehicle cause of the personality. Just hope I’m not in over my head.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: 57 Panel truck with 55 Front clip - 06/26/20 01:37 AM
Mgreen, "estimated figure on what it cost to restore a panel wagon" starts out merely being like a weather forecast. It depends on many things. While I've noticed over the years not many people are willing to "discuss" money I'll share a little of my experience restoring a 52 1/2 ton panel which, by the way was so bad it should have been crushed.
After 6 years and a complete frame off resto I had put a little more than $18,000 into the panel in 2005 to 2012 money. Except for the paint, and most body work I did all the work myself in my shop. This was also using an engine I had only 300 bucks in it, an 400 in a 700R4 transmission. Included new floor pans, cowlings, running boards and hunting down parts in a U-Pull-it yard. Everything new, or rebuilt.

I think you get the picture. Sounds like your panel is in much much beter shape than mine was but I do suggest doing some homework and writing down expenses expected. If your not dedicated to spending what it will take then don't start until you are. For most follks doing a "complete" restor I tell them if they don't have about 20 grand to start a major job don't start it and have a pile of parts to look at every time you come home from work.

Hope this helps in some way. I drove my panel for 7 years after resto and enjoyed every minute of it. Drove it on many long trips. Only sold it to thin the herd down.
Great advice and inputs from AChipmunk. And thank you for soliciting our ideas.

You are asking the right questions at the right time: Before you start! As you know from your experiences this is not a hobby that allows you to get a return on your investment. And there will be challenges and frustrations along the way.

The lesson I have learned from this and the other automotive forums I use is very simple: Do a project only when the vehicle is one you want to enjoy.

This week I was offered at almost no cost a 1967 MG Midget. It needs full mechanical restoration as well as a lot of body work due to rust. Plus an interior. I passed mainly because the car has no interest to me. In other words, if I am going to spend that kind of money and effort, I want it to be for a vehicle I want to own.
Posted By: Mgreen0104 Re: 57 Panel truck with 55 Front clip - 07/09/20 02:28 AM
I really appreciate the good advice. I’ve restored GTO’s for years this would be my first 50’s model vehicle to restore. I really dig the panel truck. I really want to make a nice driver. Not a huge build but I do expect bumps along the way. My other question I have for anyone with knowledge. ? What sheetmetal will interchange? As far as floor pans? Thanks for all the good advice.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum