Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
There is a seal at the forward end of the torque tube, which is pressed in a threaded ring at rear end of the torque ball. The original seal is a thick leather ring sandwiched between 2 steel rings, which is meant to expand as the threaded ring is tightened, similar to a household sink drain seal. Is there a modern neoprene seal which will fit this location and slow down the steady oil dripping ?
Seal measurements are approx 2.350 OD, 1.975 ID which seals to the skinny forward end of torque tube.
Kevin

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
All the old Chev parts suppliers carry them. Some are cork and some are rubber. You will want the kit that gives you the gaskets and the ball seal.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Both styles seem to work well but really need to be tight. You should consider using a strap wrench to tighten the packing nut. If you use channel locks pliers or a pipe wrench you flatten the nut where the tool contacts it. That makes fit hard to turn even though the nut needs to be turned more to compress the packing seals.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The packing nut has been "center punched" which does make it hard to turn. Was that an original retaining feature or did some mechanic do this to keep it from rattling loose ?

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The packing nut should not be center punched. If it can not be repaired it should be replaced. If you want to buy one let me know. I also have the tube it is screwed too.

Here is a past post covering this topic. The SEARCH process of old posts will help you with almost any question you can think of.

Torque tube seals replacement

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I cleaned up the packing nut threads with a HSS lathe turning tool with threading point ground one end which I made years ago in metal shop class. I just scraped the upset thread area repeatedly with threading tool until the nut would screw on without too much resistance. I also noticed that when the packing nut is screwed on until it bottoms out, the gap where the seal fits is .230-.250 wide, and the stack thickness of the old leather seal plus metal rings is .300.

Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.