Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
our members "free" ads should include one free photo if it is advertising a car for sale.
without a photo the ad is nearly useless, and $20 for a photo seems a little pricey.
what's the basis of this pricing?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I tried a "free" ad once. Three issues later the ad appeared. I wonder if it would have gone in earlier if I had paid?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
On one of the VCCA tour the tourists visited the G&D printer. We were given an excellent presentation on what it takes to get an issue put together, printed and distributed.

I don't know the specifics on your ad. Part of that can be up to a month from the time you send it until the editor starts to put an issue together. I do know It takes approximately 2 months from the time the editor starts on a given issue until it is printed and ready for shipping. I don't recall Vince visiting Chat so not likely he will comment. Takes time from several people to select the content. Have the layout determined which can cause editing changes in articles and adjustments in layout. Then there are people who check the draft layout and contents to attempt to eliminate errors, confirm with policy, etc. Once that is done the copy is sent to the printer for setup, double checking and finally the printing, assembly of each magazine and finally shipping out. Then it takes a few days to 2 weeks for the US Postal Service to put issues in mail boxes.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Chipper
On one of the VCCA tour the tourists visited the G&D printer. We were given an excellent presentation on what it takes to get an issue put together, printed and distributed.

I don't know the specifics on your ad. Part of that can be up to a month from the time you send it until the editor starts to put an issue together. I do know It takes approximately 2 months from the time the editor starts on a given issue until it is printed and ready for shipping. I don't recall Vince visiting Chat so not likely he will comment. Takes time from several people to select the content. Have the layout determined which can cause editing changes in articles and adjustments in layout. Then there are people who check the draft layout and contents to attempt to eliminate errors, confirm with policy, etc. Once that is done the copy is sent to the printer for setup, double checking and finally the printing, assembly of each magazine and finally shipping out. Then it takes a few days to 2 weeks for the US Postal Service to put issues in mail boxes.
It was a simple want ad and I didn't expect it to show up in the next issue. I also didn't expect to see it finally three issues later (not including the issue that I missed the deadline for).

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
not concerned with the timeline, just curious if there is a cost justification for members being required to pay the $20.......

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Yes there was a justification. When Fink Printing was publishing the G&D each photograph required a photo etched plate to be made to reproduce a photo on the printing press. It required the extra expense of darkroom time, chemicals, etc.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sorry didn't answer the question about paying for an ad to get it published earlier. The short answer is doesn't make a difference the time required is still the same. Including a photo still requires more layout time as it needs to be positioned within the text.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So is Fink still publishing the magazine?
still using old-school printing with darkroom expenses &c?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Modern Litho-Print has printed the G&D for a long time. If you check your issues you will find those that edit, layout, print the G&D.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
then why does a the first photo in a member's ad cost $20? it really is an essential component of "car for sale" ad.....

Last edited by Chris_in_Pineville; 06/06/20 07:41 AM.
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

It costs money to post a photo. Someone has to pay. Since the one posting the ad receives the benefit he should be the one to pay.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"our members "free" ads should include one free photo if it is advertising a car for sale.
without a photo the ad is nearly useless, and $20 for a photo seems a little pricey.
what's the basis of this pricing?"

Chris,

Why not list your car for sale on this forum and offer photos to anyone who will provide you an email address? That's simple and really is "free". A couple of years ago I listed here parts left over from restoring my '36 PU in the early 1970s and I'm still getting inquiries from that listing.

Also it costs nothing to put a photo with an ad on Next Door, Craigslist and Ebay, all very effective buy/sell forums.

The internet has made G & D obsolete as a swap meet.

Ray W

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks, brion....
already have an ad in the classifieds on this forum.
do not want to use Hemmings or eBay because I want to keep the car away from street rodders.....
VCCA is about the only option for a purist.

antiquemechanic- I understand the concept of paying for services (like Hemmings), I'm just trying to determine if there is an actual cost to VCCA that justifies charging $20 for something that is promoted as a membership benefit.....

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you truly want to understand why the VCCA charges $ 20 for a photo in a G&D ad contact someone on page 4 or 5 of your June issue. We can only give you the rationale we have been told as we understand it..

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks, Chipper, I'll try that.
this has devolved from an innocent curiosity to sort of an obsessive quest ;-)

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Pineville
do not want to use Hemmings or eBay because I want to keep the car away from street rodders.....
VCCA is about the only option for a purist.
Don't worry, there's rodders drooling over this site as well.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
this IS a dilemma for guys like me......don't know any way to keep determined street rodders out of the market for original cars that I believe are "too nice" to modify...... Anyone know a strategy that works? I can't think of any beyond trusting the buyer's honesty and ethics and know that is far from a 100% solution.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The only way I know is to educate and dedicate your family members to preservation of history. Family history is one of the more important chapters. And even with that there is no guarantee.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I have tried Chipper's idea, of my 3 children only 1 has any interest in my 38 and tells me if he gets it it will become a street rod anyway.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I am in the same boat with tonyw. None of my children or grandchildren are interested in my '41 Special Deluxe Coupe. Unfortunately the younger people are not interested in '20's to '40's and most '50's cars. They want muscle cars, modified, etc. I'll enjoy my '41 as long as I can and let my family get rid of it with all my other antiques and Chevrolet related stuff. I was glad to see that most of the new members in our last G&D listed older cars and trucks. The list of new members are getting smaller each month. Things are changing. This is not gloom and doom. Things are great. I am a 50 year plus member of VCCA and still going strong. My '41 5 passenger Special Deluxe Coupe starts good,, runs good and shines like a new dollar. What more could a guy ask for. Have fun and stay safe. JIM.

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.