Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Brand new to the forum and I figured this would be the best place to get this question answered. I'm bringing back to life a 1929 Chevrolet 3 Window Coupe. I removed the fuel tank to inspect it and it has an unusual fuel gauge sending unit, not the more common cork float with the gauge in the window type. It has a flange that would seal to the tank neck with the threaded ring and passing through that flange is two 1/4" brass tubes soldered to it that go down into the tank to the bottom and form a U. Soldered to those tubes about half way down is a small 1" x 1" brass cup with a 1/16" brass tube that runs from the cup along one of the larger tubes up to the underside of the flange. On the exterior of the flange one tube is vented to atmosphere and the other was connected by compression fitting to a 1/16" copper line that ran up towards the dash, but was cut and tucked away, abandoned. There is an unused hole in the dash panel (to the right of the oval gauge cluster). Was this some type of optional gauge type or aftermarket accessory? How did it work? Specific gravity maybe?

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The gauge was an aftermarket unit. Not real sure how it worked but based on my current understanding would have used the pressure produced in the non-vented tube from the gasoline level to indicate the level in the tank. The vented tube was to compensate for changes in atmospheric pressure. Further comments to confirm or deny my understanding are encouraged.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
It sounds like a King Seely type gauge. Ford, Buick and others used them. The AACA site has several threads about getting them to work, it can be a difficult exercise.

Dave

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
From what I have been told by a member who had several cars with that type of gauge they were rather difficult to keep working and somewhat unreliable. He said the usual "fix" was to get the red liquid to show in the gauge on the dash and then solder it shut so it would look normal and functional. He used a stick and a spiral notebook to keep track of how many miles he drove so he wouldn't run out of gas. Check with Gary Wallace in Missouri to see if he has an original style gas gauge. Should be easier, and probably more reliable. I have a 29 coupe as well. And the fellow who told me the above story had a 29 Convertible Landau Sedan before he passed away. Art

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the replies! I did research on your replies and it does appear to be a King Seely type as Dave39Md suggested. At any rate, I am going with the tried and true cork float mechanical gauge, so if anyone needs a sender for a King Seely let me know. Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.