Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, Can anyone verify for me that in order to remove the cone clutch from my car It’s a 23 Touring I must remove the Transmission and the entire rear end(drivetrain) from the car as the drive shaft does not disconnect. Any tips or tricks on doing this, I need to put a new leather lining on the clutch.

Last edited by Cliff23Trng; 05/09/20 06:28 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Sounds about right. I recommend checking to see if you can get a reprint repair manual as they have all the procedures in them.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I actually have both the regular and pocket size original repair manuals, they say to gain access remove the trans and propeller shaft assembly along with a bunch of small parts. Funny thing they never really explain what the propeller shaft is. Being I don’t own a plane I am guessing they me driveshaft and drivetrain as the driveshaft appears to be enclosed in the rigid housing.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
On later 490 models, at least 1922, and 1923-24 Superior models you don't have to remove the rear axle and propeller shaft assembly. On earlier models of 490 I don´t know for sure.
Yes, "propeller shaft" is the long drive shaft between the U-joint and the rear axle.
Take a look on this picture.
I took this picture when I reinstalled the rear axle and propeller shaft assembly, after a major repair.
Remove the four screws and nuts that keeps the U-joint housing together, then slide the rear part of the U-joint housing (U-joint ball) backwards as much as you can, approximately 50mm (two inch). Maybe you first have to loosen the brake shaft bracket and slide it backwards.
Now remove the four screws and nuts that keeps the two U-joint parts together. Slide the rear part backwards.
Now it should be possible to lower the propeller shaft housing enough to remove the transmission backwards. If it seems too tight, maybe you have to change the way that you have suported the rear end of the car. I don´t remember which way gave best room, but I guess the best way is to support the rear end under the frame, and the jack up the rear ends of the springs a bit.
Putting the U-joint parts together is quite tricky. And don´t forget to check that the notch on the two parts matches! Guess how I know.
If you search this forum and the separate 490-forum you will find some threads concering the cone clutch. You can also take a look on my website, VÃ¥ra fina gamla bilar (Our fine old cars). The text is written i swedish, maybe you can find some pictures that you'll find interesting. Take a look on these pages: New cone leather 2006/07 and transmission 2006/07 on Reparationer, tips propeller shaft and rear axle 2012/13/14 on Drivning 2012/13/14

Last edited by swedechev; 05/11/20 03:51 PM.

Per-Åke Larsson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you very much this should be quite helpful. I have worked on many cars over the years from the 50’s on up but this one just seems to throw me a curve and I am left try to figure out what I am looking at. Do you have any suggestions/thoughts on where I might source a replacement clutch hub and clutch collar. Did not know this when I bought the car but it appears the previous owner did not oil the collar properly and it built up friction between the hub and collar and wore the bronze/brass off the backside of the collar which lead to the two parts rubbing metal on metal and cause some pretty good scoring on both parts. The front surface is in good shape but that is likely because that surface sees a lot less rubbing as it is in a more relaxed state when the car is running. Once again Thank You for your assistance.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.