Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#441529 04/20/20 02:16 PM
Vray62 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, Newbie here. Just got my first Chevy. My background is in Ford T's. Grandpa restored this 1930 Chevy in 1996. He was 84 and passed away after driving it one time. It's been sitting in moms garage since, being started and driven occasionally but not for 5 years. Had no spark. Replaced coil, rotor, and condenser. Got carb rebuild kit and soaked and blew out carb (RJH-08 150) but only replaced leather and spring on accelerator pump. Compression test is 70 across the board. Starts and runs but only on half choke. Fuel pump pumping well. Next I'm going to check carb float adjustment. 3/4" from cast to top of float? Then maybe manifold gaskets? Then maybe send carb to a good rebuilder on here if still no luck. Am I on the right track? Thanks! (Would post a pic if I knew how)

-Vray. "Hating people is like burning down your own house to get a rat"
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
your mouth and remove all doubt"
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
You are just going to have to eliminate potential causes one by one. Still could be the fuel delivery system. Plugged inlet pipe, stiff diaphragm, pump check valves fouled, etc. Could be the carburetor too. Make a list start at an end , in the middle, wherever you like. You'll find it, or it could be a combination of several minor things. Post back as to what you find. Art

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Welcome to Chatter
Try adjusting the idle fuel screw, I suspect it maybe too tight or a blockage in the passages to it.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
You are on the right track. As suggested make a list and check each one separately. There is a tendency to make multiple changes and then when fixed the cause is always in doubt.

Do you have to run with partial choke only when idling or at all speeds? If idling only then I suggest you remove the idle mixture adjustment screw and give numerous short shots of a good aerosol carburetor cleaner into the passage. You are attempting to get the cleaner down the low speed jet (aka idle tube) to open the small orifice at the bottom. I have not had good luck soaking carburetors particularly on opening the metering holes or closed passages. Taking apart and physically roding them out is more successful. Caution: attempts to remove the low speed jet can break the solder holding the tube to the screw. That will leave the tube in the passage. Takes a puller to remove it. Don't even think about needle nose pliers. It only destroys the end of the tube.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'm assuming you dumped the 5 year old gas that was in the tank and put in new gas?

Vray62 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks, guys. I'll keep after it (as time allows) and let you know what I find. Yes, Chipper, partial choke at idle to keep it running and at higher speeds to keep from coughing/spitting,etc. Accelerates/revs pretty nicely with partial choke. Yep, replaced gas and rinsed out tank and pulled fuel lines and blew them out. Thanks again, everyone.

-Vray. "Hating people is like burning down your own house to get a rat"
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
your mouth and remove all doubt"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Your experience and description indicates a full cleaning and possible part replacement by a knowledgeable person.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
If the fuel system is delivering adequate fuel to the carburetor, then it sure seems like a thorough carburetor cleaning and rebuild is needed.

Given how long the car sat I am not surprised that just soaking it and blowing through some passages did not do what is really needed.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Did you use new gasoline without ethanol? If not the problem is ethanol. Yep . For sure. Agrin

Now for more serious advice.

a. Take the carburetor off and, after deciding on a professional rebuilder, pack it in a box and send it off. Carburetors are sensitive and delicate things.

b. Pay the bucks that are required for the rebuild. They will be high but well worth it.

c. Drain the fuel lines and tank. Take the fuel to your local fire department for them to use in training for putting out a fire with that nasty ethanol in it. dance

d. Put the returned carburetor back on and you have eliminated one item that could be causing the problem.

Remember that if the engine has correct timing. proper fuel and compression then it must result in combustion.

I use American Carburetor located in Jacksonville. Florida for my rebuilding. Other professional rebuilders are probably just as reliable. Some on here may have other rebuilder they can recommend, as well.

Good luck with it.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
To post pictures I think you need to be a member of the VCCA? Just having this privilege is "worth a 1,000 words."

Happy Mothers day,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Buller; 05/10/20 08:19 AM.

Mike 41 Chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.