Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#441400 04/18/20 04:51 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello everyone!

I' m restoring a Fleetline 48. Difficult project because the car is (was) very damaged.

Car with 6 cil 216 motor, uses CARTER W1 carburetor.
I have found, a NOS Carter YF (model 787SB) in very good condition.

Can I change it? Will it runs better?

Thank you for your help.
Regards

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The YF technically is a very slightly more advanced carburetor.

If you scale quality on a scale of 1 (awful) to 100 (wonderful), my grades would be: 1939-up W-1 - 90, YF 787 - 91.

The YF may give slightly better fuel economy in city (stop and go) driving.

The big disadvantage to the YF is the neopreme diaphragm accelerator pump. On a daily driver, not an issue. On a collector vehicle driven occasionally IF the owner must use ethanol contaminated fuel, the neopreme pump will harden if allowed to dry out, and fail. This would require rebuilding the carb more often. Not an issue if the owner uses real gasoline, or if the vehicle is started daily.

As the W-1 has a leather accelerator pump which is totally impervious to alcohol, the W-1 is a better choice if the owner has to use ethanol contaminated fuel.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jon,

I don't think the term "contaminated" fuel is quite accurately used here. Ethanol may be used in gasoline but it sure doesn't contaminate it. It is what it is.

Why not merely say that some carburetors don't perform as well, over time, with gasoline containing ethanol? And then state why.

Just a thought for fair play.

Best,

Charliecomputer

BTW: I surely don't doubt your expert knowledge in carburetor stuff here but merely the word "contaminated" as used in your instant post.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.