Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#439882 03/20/20 11:52 AM
Ces Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
What torque do you set the head bolts on a 31 inline 6, will not be able to warm up the engine for awhile. Do yall recommend using grease, oil or never seize on the head bolts.
Thanks
Carl

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Very important to lubricate the threads. Oil, light grease, assembly lube are all good. Also make sure to tighten in sequence and stages. Max is 65-70 ft-lbs. Most important. Tighten, loosen then tighten again. You will note that each time you do that the wrench will move a little further around until the imperfections in the threads and mating surfaces are smoothed out. An old time mechanic taught me that many years ago. He said it eliminated the need to re torque in most cases. Except for a little more crush on the gaskets from heat cycles he was right.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Chipper,

Was that recommendation to tighten, loosen and tighten again before or after the torque max was reached. It seems to me that it would be before because when the max torque is reached the head and gasket are sufficient squeezed and no further torque is needed to mate and smooth surfaces,

Your post is interesting but like they say anything that can be misunderstood will be misunderstood. Or words to that effect.

Owing to your superior expertise, please enlighten me about this matter. I always tighten to a lesser than final torque, going over and over each head bolt until finally increasing torque (on about the third stage )reaching the max torque.

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I actually do it during all three or four stages if tightening. By stages I first do about 50% of final torque on first stage. Then about 75% on second stage, 90% third stage and finally 100% of final torque. I probably tighten and loosen and retighten two to four times at each stage. It is amazing how much the bolts turn on the retighen at each stage. One would think that they would turn to same amount at the later stages but they don't. Yes gets less but I quit retorquing when the rotation is close to the same at each stage.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
"Yes gets less but I quit retorquing when the rotation is close to the same at each stage."

Well, I was nodding my head and right with you up to the last statement.

I thinkk you meant until the torque needle or breaker snaps. Just picking at you. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
"Yes gets less but I quit retorquing when the rotation is close to the same at each stage."

Well, I was nodding my head and right with you up to the last statement.

I thinkk you meant until the torque needle or breaker snaps. Just picking at you.

Best,

Charlie

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.