Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I will be moving from California to Arizona soon. I'm renting a U-Haul car haul trailer. Not an enclosed trailer, the open type. I am wondering what would be the best way to tie down a 1933 Chevy Master?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
On our cars I use 4 of the short padded straps around the axles. These straps are about 2' long and have D rings on each end. Then I use 2" ratchet straps secured to heavy floor mounted anchors at all 4 corners. Some people will cross those so it doesn't bounce around. Make sure the short straps go under the rear end brake shafts or you will bend them and probably damage them.

What part of AZ are you moving to? We just closed on an acre to build a house and shop on Monday. There is a chapter in Glendale we know a few members from.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The U-Haul car trailers I am familiar with have a built-in tie down system. There is a nylon strap device that goes over each front wheel and the wheel is held against the front of the trailer. They do not use D-rings and the traditional ratchet straps that most of us use with regular car trailers.

I used one this fall to take my ”˜37 to the Southern Fall Tour. The store I rented from was very helpful to show me how to properly secure the car to the trailer. I was very please with the way it towed.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
It is certainly better to tie the car down by a strap from the trailer floor close to the tire and around the tire back to the floor close to the tire at all wheels. The next best is from trailer floor forward of the axle, around the axle and to the rear of the axle again at four corners. Tying the body down tends to end in tears.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
One other note is ALWAYS check all your straps tension for looseness after about 15 miles plus the trailer tires and wheels and bearings for excessive heat on the first part of your trip! Plus make sure that you have 10%-15% tongue load on your truck hitch! For the most part I only use my enclosed trailer in the winter months or if one of my old cars brake down! Rory

Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I want to thank everyone for their input on my question. It certainly puts my mind more at ease towing my car out there. I believe in paying attention to the people that know how to do things.

Dennis Jones

Last edited by Jonda1; 03/13/20 09:43 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Never strap the frame, body, or bumpers. The car should be allowed to move freely as if driving it, and let the shocks and springs do their job to absorb the energy. Strap only the unsprung areas of the car. Axles, A-arms, wheels, etc. Make sure the edges of the straps are not rubbing any sharp edges on the car.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.