Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#438660 02/20/20 09:28 PM
tom r Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the repair manual and am looking for some pictures or better details on brake adjustment. Frankly, I'm nervous and unsure exactly how to do this. Can someone perhaps mark the figure 115 in the manual and place arrows on the steps? I'm unsure what the 'adjust the pull rod to its proper length' means. To do this, should I remove the wheels and see the shoes?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Along with the repair manual it will be helpful to have the brake adjusting tool to set the cross shaft at the correct angle. I believe it is available from the Filling Station. Adjusting the pull rod to the proper length is simplified with the tool. The pull rod connects the pedal to the cross shaft. No need to remove the drums to do the adjustments but if you have no idea of the condition of the internal brake parts then I would suggest you inspect them first. Unless everything is free to move and lubricated adjusting will be fruitless.

Last edited by m006840; 02/21/20 10:20 AM.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It only take a quick trip around the block (or perhaps just down the driveway) to determine if you got it right. Two or three times and you will catch on and have the system ingrained.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.