Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Is there a way to separate the inner shell from the outer stainless cap on my Chevy hubcaps? They're in pretty good shape for 80 years old, but they have the little dents and dings that come with 80 years of use. I want to be able to tap out the dings and polish them up

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
When we helped a friend restore her Durant 6-17 coupe the body guy did exactly that. The hubcaps were rather beat up and not a common item. It is a rather time consuming process that you can not get in a hurry over. The Filling Station may have some of that style in stock.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You might find that the outer skin is chrome plated brass instead of stainless. I moved a skin from a '36 Standard cap to a '34/'35 (wire wheel) cap base, several years ago. It is possible to remove and re-install the skins.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The guys on the F**d Barn use this technique for restoring the competitor's hubcaps. I have always been going to try it on a junk piece to see if it would work. The following is a quote from that forum.

"Hey--the best way is to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the back center--stop of course before you get to the stainless.
Then find a large cardboard box, fill with a blanket, and get the air hose with blow tip and fit it over the drilled hole, and point top of cap toward blankets in box.
Stainless cover should pop right off."

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
amazing tip from the ford guys. I'd always heard a ford garage only needed 10 tools to work on fords: a ball peen, a claw and 8 sludge hammers. guess they'll have to add the air hose blow tip to their tool box.
BTW, original 57 chevy poverty caps are skinned with chrome plated brass as 35mike stated above. the repo 57 dog dish caps are mildly magnetic stainless steel. hence, when judging the poverty caps, a magnet will differentiate real from repo. mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I gently pried the edges of the skin enough to remove it without cracking it. I seem to recall using my scroll saw, set at an angle, to cut a cone shaped hole in a 2 X ?? board. This made a nice cradle for putting the skin back on. Large diameter of cone shaped hole matching the O.D. of the cap. It's been a long time.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
All good tips. Thanks guys

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have always had good luck tapping out the dents without removing the outer skin.

It is a little tricky hammering through 2 layers of tin but... it can be easily done.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.