Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Had a recent inquiry as to why I don't believe old wood is any good. The individual seemed indignant that I would think new growth wood is better then old growth. While it is true newer cut trees can have a lesser grain count per inch the new wood will have all its strength and resiliency intact and not compromised by constant humidity/ temperature changes, mold, mildew, fungus and insect attacks. Very old wood (especially that which has been used in autos) has dried to the point of being brittle. Yes it seems hard and tough but the recent disassembly of my front seat has shown the brittleness where splinters and chunks came out with every nail and every screw hole had powdered wood with rust fall out when the screws were removed. Since the old growth vs new growth argument came up I checked the old wood in the seat. I found grain count from 5 to 12 lines per inch. Most of the new select or better grade ash I have been buying is comparable and most often better then that so that argument does not wash. Actually that idea comes from instrument making where the hardened and aged old growth is perfect for stringed instruments. That's why Stradivarius raided old homes to get centuries old wood for his violins. So far any and all new wood I have used has been structurally superior to the old wood I have removed. So when buying your hardwood (ash is best) just take some time to select the boards yourself. Among every stack I have come across there are always superior boards that will give excellent results.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have to admit I’m lucky when having to pick my wood. A friend owns a very high end furniture making business that makes furniture for homes like the Newport mansions, Nantucket mansions, Manhattan apartments, and many of Hollywood mansions . When I tell him I need wood, he personally picks it for me from his supplier, knowing my application and workability needed. He knows way more than I ever will about wood. It costs me less also than going to the normal suppliers. He even has a huge humidor for his wood and keeps it there for me. He explained wood kept at the perfect humidity will allow you to work with it the easiest and also allow your tools to stay sharper longer. Also, very dry ash dust has been known to make some very ill if inhaled too much. Always wearing a mask is a good precaution. Yes, it will change with the weather later just like any other wood but having it right when you’re working it, makes it that much better.

Last edited by Chistech; 11/04/19 02:46 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
My father worked with wood all of his 95 year life as a hobby. Had lots of woodworking tools and as kids he started us on woodworking too. Old wood gets VERY brittle and while it will still cut and mill fine it is dangerous in a car. To have 80+ year old poor quality wood for spokes or as a structure on a wood bodied car is foolish. In my opinion newer wood that has some structural strength in a car I am counting on to help me survive in case of an accident is a must. I am not advocating taking a running car apart to change the wood but if it is mostly apart then that is the time to do it right and not try to SAVE as much original wood as possible.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have been working on the front seat. All my files are too large for here so visit my Facebook page "Automotive Wood Bodies" to view.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.