Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jean Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello,
I have the following question.
Which modern lubricant oil brand and type are you using for the following:
- Chassis
- Gear box
- Engine
- And for the Hydro electric pump for those who have a convertible the hydraulic top fluid.
I have all the old references in the chevrolet manual but I am curious to know if there is one special modern brand or type that is recommanded for those cars today.
Thank you,
Best regards,
JC

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Based on successfully showing, touring my 1950 convertible for 27 years and about 10,000 miles:
Top motor: DOT 3 brake fluid
Chassis: regularly available chassis grease
Motor Oil: name brand 10W-30
Manual Transmission and Differential: SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
granted that GM used DOT 3 brake fluid in their electric over hydraulic systems in the 50's, I use ATF when I rebuild the power top assemblies on C-1 corvettes and our 50 chevy convertible. if one has ever disassembled the pumps and solenoid assemblies on these old GM systems, one will find a considerable amount of gelled material therein. most convert top experts suggest using ATF. of course, before using ATF, the entire system needs flushed of old DOT 3. mike mccagh

Jean Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for your answers.
We disassembled the Dura pump and it is rather clean inside, but I want to replace the gaskets as they seem to be a little worn out...
I want to gather the more information I can so that I can use the right fluid as I don't want to make any mistake.
I porbably did not use the right term for the chassis. I meant the whole transmission system and differential. But I think you understood me.
thank you
JC

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.