Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#433490 10/28/19 07:47 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
When I disassembled my 29, there were tiny clips at the bottom of the guide strips where they meet the rubber seat that runs along the cowel. Now that I am reassembling the windshield with new guides etc, I don't know what these clips are supposed to do. The before picture shows the passenger side clip as it was with only one nail even though there were two holes in the clip. I am not sure the purpose of these and whether they should go between the lower seat and the windshield guide. There is a piece which bends down about 1/4" on the side towards the glass. The trim pieces will cover these areas.
Thanks

Attached Images
clip old-e.jpg windshield clip-e.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I believe this is the correct way. The clip pulls back the inside edge of the lower windshield seal and allows the guide channel to remain open at the bottom.

Attached Images
clip.jpg
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
sorry do not have any pictures of mine when it was done, Ted did it, not sure if he remembers or had any pictures or not.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I am probably missing these as my father had disassembled the car over 40 years ago. Maybe you could do a sketch with dimensions? I bet others are missing as well.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I'm not sure why there is a taper on the part that bends down, maybe it is easier to slide it between the windshield guide and the rubber seal. I had to weld on a small piece visible in the photo because the old nail hole was broken away in the wood.
The other photo shows the lower end of the old window guide (passenger side). The edge was shaved back to make it thinner maybe to allow for the thickness of the clip and the end is radiused and cut at a taper to match the profile of the rubber seal for a good fit.

Attached Images
clip-3.jpg guide.jpg
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Much appreciated! I haven't seen these among the parts but I do have the original rubber parts so I can check them for the cut away you describe. Busy today making a new front seat frame for the Sedan. I should be able to extrapolate from it for a seat frame for the Cabriolet. I have pictures of a coupe seat so thinking the Cab and Coupe are similar.

Last edited by cabboy; 10/30/19 10:25 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I know the Coupe and Cabriolet seats are the same construction in 1931. 1929 very likely the same. Have an extra '31 seat frame but the body and seat are wider than '29 from what I understand.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Chipper
I know the Coupe and Cabriolet seats are the same construction in 1931. 1929 very likely the same. Have an extra '31 seat frame but the body and seat are wider than '29 from what I understand.
Good to know. I don't really need a frame but am looking for the mounts to bolt it to the floor and the runners that bolt to the bottom of the frame. According to parts book all models in 1929 (except Coach) used same seat brackets. Different numbers for 1930 and 1931 so probably not the same.

Last edited by cabboy; 10/30/19 01:40 PM.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
That clip is designed to hold the bottom of the side channel in place forward enough to seal in the bottom corner of the windshield where there are often leaks that rot the metal and wood. The windshield is put in top first and high up towards the regulator board then lowered down to the bottom. Then push the bottom forward against the front of the windshield post and tack those clips in. I use Duct seal putty in the corners to seal the junction area of the rubber. The regulator board is put in place the the crank turned to engage the pins. This was normally done before the dash was installed.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by cabboy
Originally Posted by Chipper
Good to know. I don't really need a frame but am looking for the mounts to bolt it to the floor and the runners that bolt to the bottom of the frame. According to parts book all models in 1929 (except Coach) used same seat brackets. Different numbers for 1930 and 1931 so probably not the same.

It was not just Chevy either. The Olds coupe and convertible roadster (Cabriolet) used the same frame also and it is the same as Chevy. The pontiac convertible coupe, also a Cabriolet, uses the same frame seat but not sure on the 5 window coupe. You could see by 31’ GM was starting to cross a ton of parts. The 31-32 seat frames above use a gear adjuster at the front and a roller wheel at each rear corner. The seat can actually flip forward some as there is nothing to hold the rear of the seat frame down. The seat is adjusted front to rear by pulling the lever up and either pushing the seat back or pulling it forward with your legs. I believe the Olds 32’ brochure talks about the “glide adjust” seat.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The seat adjusting mechanism was changed from 1931 to 1932. 1931 and earlier use a Acme threaded shaft and triangular arm mechanism to adjust the seat position. 1932 uses a lever to retract a tab that fits into a slot much like modern seat adjustment systems. A roller on the seat frame back permits easier movement.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks Chipper you’re right of course. I looked back and it was a 32’ Chevy and not a 31’ that I worked on. Been too many now to keep straight. I even had a guy come to my house after a show who had a broken seat adjuster on his 2dr sedan. I had machined up a couple of the T shaped brackets out of aluminum, which originally were white metal, that the adjuster screw rotates through as Arizona Armando’s 31 was also broken so I figured I’d make more than one. When the guy told me what was broken, he was amazed I had a brand new part to install. What’s funny is word has got around and I’m having guys just popping in, mostly on weekends, asking if I can fix their Chevy. I turn the A guys away in most cases because I just don’t know the cars well enough.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is that you, Lonnie

Don't let a day go by that you don't attempt to learn something new.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.