Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TonyU Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Good Morning!

Last year I purchased a kit from LB for my 27 AA Capitol, I didn't open package until this week only to find a note that the carpet and headliner material is on backorder and obviously that's not going to be filled! so, the trim shop says that they can do it if I find the material, Any suggestions? did anyone pickup LB's business and get it going again?
Does anyone have any good photos of what the 27 interior should look like that I can share with the trim shop-mine was pretty ratty!

The car was my dad;s, we intend to drive it not show it so the exact match to show quality is 100% necessary! again any help appreciated!

Tony

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The headliner is fairly easy to make. If you look at your upper roof wood, you will see some of the cross supports (bows) have tack holes in them, others don’t. take a long piece of 3” wide paper (you can find a roll of masking paper at a paint shop or HD) and with one end taped at the very top of the rear window, lift the paper up to the rear bow and mark the paper where the front edge of the bow contacts the paper.. With the paper up against the rearmost bow, pull the paper tight up to the windshield header trim board. Mark the location of every bows front edge on the paper and the location of the dome light board. Also mark which bows had the tacks across them. This paper is used for making the headliner by showing where the linen case is sewed. This case should be two inches wide and sewn with one row of stitching right in the middle of the case to the line on the headliner material. The case gets sewn straight across the headliner material only where there were tacks on the bow. The headliner gets installed by first tacking the casing at the rearmost bow that has tack holes in it. The case is folded to double it and the edge of the case is kept down from the top of the bow by 1/4”. Remember to mark the centers, side to side of all tacking bows and the center of the headliner cases. Tack from the center of the bow out pulling the headliner snug and tack to follow the curve of the bow towards the ends of the bow. Go to the back of the car tacking the rearof the headliner just below where the tops of the interior panels would be but only tack from the center out about 10”. Do not staple to the corners as that is done last. Then move to the next tacking bow pulling the headliner forward some and tack the case the same way to the bow. NOTE: the cases are usually sewn a 1/4-1/2” short of the marks on the paper so the headliner will pull tight when the cases are tacked to the bows. All work is done from rear to front the the very front edge is pulled to the front trim board and tacked. I usually pull the headliner forward and use metal spring clamps to hold the headliner to the trim board. The clamps allow me to keep working any loose areas out first before I do any tacking or stapling. The rear corners are the hardest and wrinkles are worked out gradually just below the top line of the corner interior panel.

TonyU Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.