Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
#5 intake spring broke yesterday, no big deal, i will order a set of springs from the filling station tomorrow.

Now, on the rocker shaft: Are there just the four bolts that hold the shaft to the head, or do the two studs that hold the VC on, also attach the shaft assy to the head?

Looking at this, i think i can remove the rocker shaft assy, and replace the bad spring, and simply re attach the shaft assy, drawing it down uniformly, and not even have to fuss with relashing the valves if i don't meddle with the rocker lash screws. Does that sound like a good way to go?

I plan of removing the plugs and shoving a piece of bungee cord in the spark plug hole of #5,and manually rotating the motor until the bungee has firmly wedged the valve fully closed, which i think is more positive in keep the valve raised than compressed air in the cylinder.

I may replace few other springs, or maybe all of them, i noticed a couple were rusty, no telling how old those were or where they came from, even though there is no other rust on the top of the head. Based on the history of the car, as far back as I can determine, the motor was probably rebuilt sometime between the early 1980s up through the very early 1990s, maybe valve springs were hard to find, pre internet

Thanks,
Doug

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, the studs are holding down the shafts also.
Lossen nut about one turn. Then grip stud next to the nut with a vise grip and turn it out.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If 1 spring broke I would be suspicious of the rest.
You could remove the cover studs as Gene suggested though I prefer to leave them in the head as they will guide the rocker gear at reassembly time.
Your bungee cord idea is good and works well. If I disturb the rocker gear I check valve clearances on reassembly.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If it was my car, I would replace all the springs in the head. All like you have said have been in there how long? A machine shop can "test" your springs to see if good. Be sure you get original replacement springs. There are some out there that are stronger than original. I would not go for those.

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
If 1 spring broke I would be suspicious of the rest.
You could remove the cover studs as Gene suggested though I prefer to leave them in the head as they will guide the rocker gear at reassembly time.
Your bungee cord idea is good and works well. If I disturb the rocker gear I check valve clearances on reassembly.
Tony

I ordered a set of 12 from the filing station, said to be for 29-33 cars, and yes, i planned to replace all, as long as the rocker shaft was off.
Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.