Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello. My question is: If I find that I have suspected deteriorated wood structural parts in the 29 thru 32 series of Chevy vehicles, should I replace just those pieces-or all of the wood? Is it considered a band aid fix to just replace what is failed? Are old wood and new wood sections compatible attached together? What about using products from the marine industry that claim to change wood rot into sound structure? How about trying to salvage the failed hide glue joints with modern adhesives,dowels or fasteners? I ask because of the issues that some have had dealing with what few wood kit suppliers there are out there. Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
If the original wood is in good condition I consider it superior to replacement wood. It was far better quality than modern wood when installed. It fits the sheet metal. I agree that the hide glue has deteriorated but if not subject to too much water and oxidation will hold okay. In most cases I replace all the wood if there is any question but in the '31 Cabriolet we are just about to finish the body wood there are several pieces of original wood that we are not replacing. It is a case by case basis. Experience makes a difference.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Aside from hide glue failing (which is almost certain) there is the issue of hardening of wood over time that actually makes it brittle and less resilient. Carefully chosen replacement wood (grain count, runout etc.) will make sure new wood is as strong as the original when it was new. Remember the manufacturer didn't select wood based on quality but pieced together what they had to save costs. Another issue is mold spores and hidden rot (dry rot included) that can never be removed effectively from old wood. I'm not telling you what to do but I always recommend total replacement.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.