Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#431548 09/24/19 12:18 PM
Rog40 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just got my '50 216 together an cranked on it. Oil comes pouring from inside the bell housing on one side only, the left side. And it's not a leak. It gushes like it's coming straight out of the oil pump. Are there any plugs on an oil passage underneath the bellhousing on a '50 216? I never remembered seeing one. I'm looking at engine diagrams, but have found nothing yet. The flywheel makes it hard to see. I know I'm going to have to pull the trans, bell housing , and flywheel, but I'm just wondering where the leak is coming from? Comments appreciated. Roger

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'm not sure about the 216 but a 207 has a plug in the back of the oil galley, if it's out you wont have oil pressure but if it's loose it could pour out. here are a couple of photos. Engine is upside down in photos.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Rog40 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I know I got the camshaft plug in, it must be something like the plug you showed. Anyone else?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yes the cam itself has a plug at the end in the block, like a freeze plug. It has to be sealed, still not sure about 216 but i'm guessing it's the same. See photo.
Dale

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The 216 has a plug for the cam with the same plug style as above.

There is a 1/2" or so threaded plug required on rear of the block under clutch cover. It's on the drivers side. I'll post a picture.
My 1938 216 has the oil gallery running front to back (you can see gallery path on the outside of the block in my picture) with a threaded plug on each end. Just reminded me I need to size these plugs and source some!

Attached Images
oil plug.JPG
Last edited by canadiantim; 09/24/19 09:06 PM. Reason: added picture

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Rog40 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
That must be it. Oil comes from under the bell housing on the drivers side. And boy does it come. At a rate of about a quart in 30 seconds. I don't know how it got overlooked in all the instructions and diagrams I read. Never a mention. But I believe that's it. This is a '50 block but it still has what looks like your oil gallery. Coincidentally there are small amounts of oil that exited the front hole which is not plugged either. There are no threads in the hole so I wondered what the blasted thing could be used for. Now I know. Many blessings for the help. Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.