Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#429285 08/05/19 08:44 PM
35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I recently received a $720.00 (U.S. Funds) Canadian Postal Money Order, for parts I sold to a chat member. My bank wanted to charge me $20.00 and another $60.00(ish) for the intermediate bank who would handle the transaction to Canada. I declined. I went to my local P.O. where they were ready to cash it, after a verification phone call, until it popped up on the screen that they had a maximum amount of $700.00 for cashing a Canadian Postal M.O.
I'm too old for this grief. No more parts to Canada from me.
Make sure payments from other countries are in U.S. funds AND drawn on a U.S. bank

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Because of all of the paperwork and BS I quit shipping to Canada years ago.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Your problem is the US institutions. Anyway I have switched to PayPal and if you don't want to pay their fees just add them to your asking price before advertising or offering the part. Quitting shipping anywhere is not a real solution and not much help with this hobby. I've shipped many parts to the US and abroad and if we all stopped it would get real hard for anyone to restore a car.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree that the problem is on the USA side and that is why I quit shipping to Canada. There should be no problem to ship to Canada since we are all on the same Continent but the paperwork on the USA side is a nightmare for the average person who does not ship to Canada regularly like some of the companies doing business selling automotive parts. I am able to ship a part to Denmark way easier than I can to Canada. Some of my customers in Canada have USA addresses near the Canadian border for shipping to avoid the shipping issues.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Canada is easy. People just have to pay attention to what they are doing - ideally on the Canadian side so we don't tick guys off in the US that have stashes of parts lol...

For simplicity, many of us ship to drop locations within the US and pay with Paypal (and pay any paypal fees), so zero issues as it's identical to a US transaction.

Money Orders are ancient and clumsy so many people, banks and post offices get confused as they rarely see them these days and there are too many touch points for people to screw up. You should have received a US Postal Money order, not a Canadian one.

We have a really hard time finding parts up here since the market is so small, so any effort to get goodies to us is ALWAYS appreciated!!

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by 35Mike

I agree.... No more of my parts will ever be sent to Canada ever again.

I quit shipping anything to Canada after a buyer sent me a nasty email complaining about the high cost of duty fees he had to pay after his parts were cleared through Canadian customs.

I replied to his nasty email asking him why he was complaining to me instead of his own government.....never got a reply back from that guy.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Old49er

I quit shipping anything to Canada after a buyer sent me a nasty email complaining about the high cost of duty fees he had to pay after his parts were cleared through Canadian customs.

I replied to his nasty email asking him why he was complaining to me instead of his own government.....never got a reply back from that guy.
So you let one idiot govern what you do? I've had bozo's do similar things to me from the US. I don't paint all Americans because of the couple of dumbasses. I like Americans. You guys are great neighbours. I've shipped more parts to the US then I have shipped from so if you don't ship here it won't be a loss for me but that's not helping the hobby.

35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
This part was sent to a Niagara Falls, NY address, so no problem there. I'm just surprised that the folks selling the M.O. up there did not know the problems I would encounter on my end. I suggested PayPal but it was not going to be simple for the buyer.
His lack of sympathy/regard for my problem did not help my mood.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thinking back the post office would only issue their money orders for a maximum of $500 US so I would have had to buy two to get $720? Maybe the postal guy screwed up as a lot of post outlets are now contracted out and not run by bonafide postal workers. You should have stuck to paypal and let the buyer worry about it. I had and several people end up setting up accounts to buy from me. Really it's free for buyers and your card info is protected. A no brainer for me. And like I said just factor the 4% they charge into your asking prices and all should be good. As far as the guy griping about the import duties and taxes he's an idiot. If you don't know the government will want it's cut crossing the border then you are out of touch with reality. I guess he bitches about paying sales taxes when he buys in Canada too! Actually most items coming via the postal service (US post then Canada Post) arrive at my door sans charges. They ding me sometimes but mostly on big items. My issue is actually with US Post as they are charging two to three times the amount it would cost me to ship same item to the US via Canada post. What's up with that?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The problem is definitely the US banking system. They are so far behind the rest of the world. I seem to go through this mess every time I try to register for meets in the USA.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Guess I'll revise my "Parts Wanted" ad right now.......

Ken O'Connor - kens94s@hotmail.com

1936 Chevrolet Standard Coupe
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I dealt with Tim and had no real problems.

He sent me a Canadian MO with US Dollars,

The P.O. workers here didn't know what to do. They got the supervisor and she made a phone call and then directed her employee to pay me.

When you're dealing with someone whose integrity is sound, then you don't really worry much. I didn't. because I fully trusted Tim and knew that he would see that I was paid. dance

I hope there is a way for you who have had problems to work out a good way to handle the hurdles you seem to be having.

Best,

Charlie computer

35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
OK, I give in. You guys are right, I shouldn't let one transaction stop me from future commerce with our friendly neighbors to the north. I will be more specific in my payment requirements in the future. PayPal seems like the best option.
I was more annoyed by the indifference expressed by the buyer than any other part of the deal.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by cabboy

So you let one idiot govern what you do?

The guy complaining about the duties he had to pay was just straw that broke the camels back.

Here is a list of some of the additional problems I encountered for many years when shipping to Canada:

Continual complaints about the high cost of the shipping fees.

Numerous buyers paying with checks that cannot be cashed in the U.S. { routing #'s are not compatible with U.S. banks }.

Overly stringent packaging requirements { expect to be browbeaten by the mail clerk when shipping anything to Canada }.

Excessive documentation required for the customs form.

Inability to track the package properly after it gets shipped.

Parts lost in transit with no one willing to take the blame { USPS blamed the CN Post & CN Post blamed the USPS }.

Parts arriving damaged { or missing some parts } because customs opened the box for inspection & they did not re-pack it properly { this occurred numerous times }.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500

The guy complaining about the duties he had to pay was just straw that broke the camels back.

Here is a list of some of the additional problems I encountered for many years when shipping to Canada:

Numerous buyers paying with checks that cannot be cashed in the U.S. { routing #'s are not compatible with U.S. banks }.

Overly stringent packaging requirements { expect to be browbeaten by the mail clerk when shipping anything to Canada }.

Parts lost in transit with no one willing to take the blame { USPS blamed the CN Post & CN Post blamed the USPS }.

Parts arriving damaged { or missing some parts } because customs opened the box for inspection & they did not re-pack it properly { this occurred numerous times }.
Same crap on this side of the border. Looks like you have gotten all the wackos. Yes USPS does charge fees 2 to 4 times what Canada Post charges for equal packages. Why I don't know? How many times have I gotten checks from the US that can't be cashed here. Actually the banks here don't want to see them as they have trouble getting US banks to honour them. Items going to the US also have to be packaged properly via CANADA Post guidelines. Well every carrier has packaging requirements don't they? Typically customs opens suspect packages so what's wrong with the way you package and declare contents? I don't know about tracking, seems to work fine from here to the US? You have your struggles and we have ours. I work past them and enjoy helping others where ever they are.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Shipping is a hassle in general. I'm sitting on parts I'd love to throw on Ebay to help fund my project but know it will take a fair amount of time to deal with the logistics so I'm avoiding the process lol...

I've likely imported a couple thousand shipments from the US and it's been relatively uneventful, just the odd annoyance. We get used to paying stupid amounts to get stuff here so most of us don't complain.

I've had help from a couple VCCA members getting me stuff when sellers have refused to sell Internationally and their help was greatly appreciated!!!

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic

The bottom line is.... None of these irritating events have ever happened when shipping NOS parts & accessories within the U.S.

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.