Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, I have recently picked up a 1934 Chevy Master Sedan That has not ran in thirty years. When I got it home I removed the Gas tank and fuel line do to old gas that was left in it. So before I tried turning it over I picked up a new battery, New plugs, new coil, Cleaned the points. Now that I finally have it turning over I can not get it to start or even attempt to. It is getting spark but will not start when I use starting fluid or poor gas into the carb. My next step is checking the timing and compression. If anyone has any tips or suggestions please share... I need all the help I can get. I am a new to classic cars and the 6V systems. I will be posting pics asap. Thanks!

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Are the plugs wet after pouring in the gas? After setting that long there are lot of things to check. Is fuel getting to the pump (remove line)? If so, is fuel pumping to carb (remove line)? Is the float in the carb set to the correct height? Are the needle and seat in the carb clean and freely moving? If compression is low, first check to see if any of the valves are sticking in the open position.
6 volt systems are not that different from 12 volt. Common electrical checks include spark plug wires not cracked/leaking. Are you getting good spark at all of the plugs? Condenser in the distributer very well may need to be replaced.
If you don't have a shop/maintenance manual, you need to get one. Filling Station has them. You will use it more than once or twice.
We have started a VCCA region in Kentucky and there are several members in your area. Joining the national VCCA is worth the money for technical advise from someone who is expert for your year. The monthly magazine is a great resource too.
Good luck getting it going! If you need more help, send me a message.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Try jumping with a 12 volt battery. Make sure no lights or eletrical accessories are on. Spin over about 10 seconds at a time so as not to over heat starter. Disconnect 12 V as soon as it starts.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I just realized that you have 2 posts going on the same topic. I responded to the one in the 33-36 forum.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you guys for the fast response. Currently the fuel tank is off do to varnish and rust. I have been pouring straight into the carb. The car was in a climate controlled storage facility the entire time so rust is almost non existent. Other than in the tank where old fuel was left. I will start again by checking the plugs for wetness and the wires for leakage. The distributor and internals look great. When I pulled one of the plugs to check for spark it looked fine, but I will check the rest .I will start with that tonight and post an update as soon as possible.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.