Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#424353 04/15/19 10:27 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
HI All,

I have been dragging my feet on getting the title on my 1931 chevy transferred from Illinois to Colorado because the car is currently undergoing restoration. However, I need to do it. I have been advised on 2 routes to do this and am looking for some advice. I can take it in for a vin verification now (not street legal yet) and they will issue me a verification so that I can get a rebuilders permit. This will then get me on the right path but then when the restoration is complete I will have a title with a salvage stamp on it. I have been given the impression that this is not a good thing. However, if I wait until it is street legal then I don't have to worry about the extra steps or having a salvage stamp placed on the title. I got the car from my grandfather and it was in working condition when he got it. It was never junked. I also do not plan on ever selling this car. What would anyone recommend? Does having a salvage stamp on the title matter all that much?

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Jeremy

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
A salvage designation on a title is a bit like a scarlet letter.... not very appealing. I would wait until you restore it.
--John

John Myatt
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
iagree

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
There is a disconnect here that I don't understand. If you got it from your grandfather and it was in working condition then surely he had a title to the car. What's up with that?

Go to your state License and Theft Division of the DMV and have them verify the serial number or engine number if that is what was used. They will tell you the steps to use to get it straightened out.

I doubt that Colorado or Illinois have as stringent rules as North Carolina and that is what I would do in your place.

You could go to a lawyer schooled in thin kind of stuff and pay him to help you.

When you go to the license and theft folks take donuts or better pastries. They will be on your side as they appreciate the tribute.

Don't get a salvage title stamp if you are ever going to sell it. For some reason that is a black flag to buyers.

An state assigned serial number is OK. But that is usually only done if there is something wrong about the title and serial number not matching.

Good luck,

Charlie computer:

BTW: Others will chime in as soon as they wake up their sleepy heads. Agrin

:

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Please do everything you can to avoid being issued a salvage title. I understand that your intentions are to not sell the car. Just remember that whoever settles your estate will have to sell it or whoever inherits it might want to sell it.

Typically a salvage title cuts the value of a vehicle in half. It just raises a lot of questions about what really happened or was done to the car.

I agree with Charlie's advice to work with the state of Illinois to get a duplicate title issued if you do not have the title. Then you can go through the process to transfer that title to Colorado.

I do not know the regulations in Colorado but I expect there is a similar process to what we do in Iowa. If the car is not being driven when you transfer the title you put the car into a status called "storage". When the car is ready to be driven then you take it out of "storage" and they issue you a vehicle license.

Remember that title and license are 2 different items. Title defines ownership. License allows it to be driven.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
don't they offer CLEAN titles anymore in HEMMINGS ?
Its always better to just hire a DMV SERVICE close to you to help in your area, they specialize in this stuff
and they can always help you , by leaving out countless trips to the DMV and buying cops donuts and hoping they will do you a favor. look in Hemmings, if not find one in your town

Last edited by 36RAGTOP; 04/16/19 04:02 PM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
36RAGTOP,

Scoff at my advice about buying a few stinkin' donuts (flavor filled crusants work even better) if you want, but unexpected acts of kindness and thoughtfulness sometimes works magic. Does too!

When we give advice here on Chatter it may serve best to encourage one to go the "above board" route with no serendipity or short cuts. Just my way of thinking and opinion on how we should respond as in the instant case.

I may be wrong so your system may have more merit than mine. dance

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Clif when you meet the person at the License and Theft Division of your state DMV proceed with. "Here sir/miss, please enjoy these pastries. I have a problem that I need help resolving and I hope you can help me."

BTW2: Buy a dozed and if after proceeding with my advice, you feel it got you absolute nothing, then let me know and I send you the cost of the donuts/pastries. How's that?

RAGTOP: Your turn. Agrin

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Charlie: Just send me the donuts!

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Chip,

I would but I've seen you and don't wish to contribute to your early demise.

Peers ta me you've either have already had you share or your missus luv2 cooks evern better than she looks. dance

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Both!

All the Best, WLB

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
HI All,

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely gave me some options to look into. In Colorado, I was told that they won't issue a regular title with out the VIN being inspected and part of the inspection includes verifying that the car is road worthy (for the era it is from). Otherwise, my only option is to go the rebuilders permit/ salvage title route. No worries though, just means more work up front.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
36RAGTOP,

Scoff at my advice about buying a few stinkin' donuts (flavor filled crusants work even better) if you want, but unexpected acts of kindness and thoughtfulness sometimes works magic. Does too!

When we give advice here on Chatter it may serve best to encourage one to go the "above board" route with no serendipity or short cuts. Just my way of thinking and opinion on how we should respond as in the instant case.

I may be wrong so your system may have more merit than mine. dance

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Clif when you meet the person at the License and Theft Division of your state DMV proceed with. "Here sir/miss, please enjoy these pastries. I have a problem that I need help resolving and I hope you can help me."

BTW2: Buy a dozed and if after proceeding with my advice, you feel it got you absolute nothing, then let me know and I send you the cost of the donuts/pastries. How's that?

RAGTOP: Your turn. Agrin

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie,
ive done what this guy is TRING TO DO, so YES I have done it before ( a few times with my cars ) and without the donuts, and without bothering the detectives, but if your driving a stolen car, they can be sure and willing to help you out to the gray bar hotel!
BUT if your toting around a box of donuts you can sent the glazed ones my way!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.