Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#421668 02/23/19 10:02 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I know some of you love fultons on your cars and you cannot be convienced regarding how pure, downright ugly they are, but take a look at this application and then tell me I'm the one who's nuts!

Mercy. And yes there is red paint in placee wher it should not be and no paint in places where it should be.

I think there may be a good reason why there arn't more pictures.

75K? I don't think so.

Any comments?

Best,

Charlie computer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Chevrolet-Special-Deluxe-luxury/153391380868?hash=item23b6d6b984:g:D4gAAOSwtRNccM~T:rk:1:pf:0

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If I'm looking at the same car you are seeing, a red convertible, the price is $98 000+. Oh! Well! Each to his own taste (said the old gent as he kissed a cow). But I agree, Charlie, the owner has really done a super job of making a beautiful car into a butt-ugly creation by hammering on that Fulton.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I agree Charlie that is butt ugly. Can't help but notice the statement " Period Correct" and the next line is 12 volt conversion.

Steve D
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If everyone had the same tastes all cars would look alike. Having said that, THAT application is a waste of a good Fulton. Being different isn't always being better. greenman

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
HOLEY MOLEY!!!! Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tiny,

iagreeSome times more is less, huh?

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: The iagreewasn't intended to extent to your comment about the fulton per se.

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 02/25/19 11:40 AM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
After 12 yrs I still can't decide to leave or remove it, might leave for the next fellow.
not sure if the picture is going to show. (they make things so difficult)

Attached Images
IMG_2777.JPG

kens41"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Since you asked for comments, I’ll give mine.

I’m really having a hard time with the comments in this post. The owner did not post his car on the VCCA website to be judged by us. He posted it on eBay to make a sale. He can set the selling price to whatever he feels is appropriate. If it’s too high, it’s not going to sell.
I realize a lot of people don’t like Fulton Sunshields for different reasons, but Fulton made the brackets for convertibles and provided the instructions how to install them on convertibles.

The owner did not list this car as being a correct restoration; he listed it as period correct with a 12 volt conversion. The car has several rare accessories. The body work, paint, interior, and chrome are in great condition, but the comments are picking it apart because parts are not painted the correct color, or painted in the wrong locations.

I am really disappointed in the comments here referring to this car as “BUTT UGLY”, and posting emojies of a nauseated face. These comments are on the internet for the whole world to see. They are there for people to see how they will be treated if they post their car on the VCCA website. Why would anyone want to join an organization that would call their car “BUTT UGLY” because it doesn’t meet their standard of approval?
I realize the VCCA was established to promote the restoration and preservation of Chevrolets, but it was not established to belittle someone who builds a car different than you would have done.

I grow up in an era of “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”.

As you have probably figured by now, I do know the owner of the car. I painted the license plates for him. He is a national member of the VCCA. I have been trying to get him to join our regional group. I don’t know if he would want to join after seeing comments like this about one of his cars. I am even questioning my participation in this organization.

To summarize my comments….Very disappointed.

VCCA Member 51121

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I looked at the car, looks really nice. If you don't like the Fulton it can always be taken off and sold.

Jon T.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
iagree with modiol

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Well put modiol.

ken48
VCCA 42589

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for saying what I was thinking, modiol!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Modiol I certainly can appreciate your comments and do understand. That being said my comments were of MY OPINION as requested by the original poster of the looks of the FULTON only and have no reflection on the car over all which I do think is a very well restored car. I guess I could use an explanation of what "period correct" means as I interpret it as meaning "as it was built in the time perio the car was built". Having grown up in the same era as you I was taught also when asked for an opinion to give an honest one and while I mean no disrespect to you or the owner of this beautiful car my opinion of the Fulton Visor is still the same. I do agree with Jonjet and if I had the $$ would have no objection of having it it my garage.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
There is also some background history of some long running friendly roasting of Fultons between members that likely helped propel this topic a bit as well.
The car itself is amazing looking. I really like that colour and the chrome accents this car has...

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I posted the link to the picture of the car in question. The owner placed it on eBay and thus in the public realm/view. He, thus, cannot yell "foul" nor can anyone else on his behalf.

These are the things that struck me as off kilter for a "period correct" car: The quote is in the owner's ad on eBay, not mine.

I never said the car was "butt ugly" - although it is with that fulton stuck up there - someone else did. I merely said "ugly" in reference to the fulton stuck up there only.

Take the fulton off, paint the bar above the grille that has "C H E V R O L E T" on it body color with the letters showing in chrome, put proper strength springs under it or take out the lowering kit, whichever is appropriate, take out the red paint in the bumper guards and the bumper ends, and it would be a beautiful and proper looking car.

I would not be surprised that there may be other modifications other than the conversion to 12.Volts instead of 6-Volts, but there's not enough pictures to immediately detect anything else without more details showing.

Chevrolet did not provide an accessory such as a "fulton" to go on any 1941 Chevrolet must less a cabriolet.

To jump on me and others who have commented is okay but "Me thinks thou doth protest too much." (Shakespeare's Hamlet. I thing tha actual quote was "me think the lady doth protest too much." My apology to the author.)

Modiol, you gave a great defense for your friend's car. As for me it had little effect. Others may feel ashamed of adding the "butt" to word to "ugly" but I would not be inclined to school them on it. Just let it go.

There are some of us out here that hold to the motto of the Club in that we are dedicated to restoration and preservation. These words are important to many us and are the epitome of what the Club is about. Those two words are enough for us and they have never included the notion of "period correct." Whatever that means. The Club is bending over backwards in order to be inclusive but it can only go so far before losing the reason it was founded in the first place. At least that's my take on it.

Please note that I have been factually honest in my words and not emotional.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: All the nice accessory lights (fog and driving) are a bit too much. Too crowed and not intended to be displayed that way - all together. See my comment about "more is less" posted earlier. The shark teeth rims are absolutely beautiful on a 1941. Are too!

BTW2: If you review my posts you may note that I have consistently been decicated to restoration and preservation. To the point of being a little too much so at times. dance

BTW3: It hasn't been my intent to offend anyone. Especially, Modiol or the owner of the instant car. I merely thought the fulton looked a bit out of place on a cabriolet. Nothing more. On hindsightI I apologize for calling it ugly. It was just strange looking and not enhancing to the overal look of the car. I agree that "ugly" was in poor taste. Please forgive me. Please express my apology to the owner of the car. Thanks.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by kens41
After 12 yrs I still can't decide to leave or remove it, might leave for the next fellow.
not sure if the picture is going to show. (they make things so difficult)
Beautiful car Ken. I would leave the fulton.
Modiol, well said.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Modiol, I guess I keep thinking of when I was a teenager in the early sixties I had a couple 47's I would have never had a sunvisor,
probably thought I wouldn't look cool. ha. I may be selling it this summer had a shoulder replacement and the other is due, making
it hard for me to drive it.

kens41"
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Does anyone ever notice and lend support when someone takes up for restoration and preservation. Heck no. They all run for the hills. Do too. In their hearts they know I'm right and they would say the same stinkin things except for the big civility thing and not having the guts to join anyone who tells it like it is and ought to be.

Unless some of you man-up and speak your mind the Club may be "tending toward complexity" exponentially.

Personally, I am beginning to believe that folks like me are being being pushed out in favor of modification and modernization and the h--l with restoration and preservation (R&P). Seems those two words R&P are taking a back seat to the notion of "Man, look at that old Chevrolet. Just watch what I can do with a big block, lowering kit, some sheet metal artwork, and electrical gadgetry and you'll never believe what a bomb it will be."

If no one will support me, then have the decency of shooting me. I'll appreciate it. Will too!

Note: I just had to rant a little. hood

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: Ken. Please take that fulton off and then run over it. The car will look better and you'll feel better also. Will too!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Ok folks. In the interest of preserving harmony let’s agree that the point has been made, discussed sufficiently, rebuttals noted and an apology offered. So, let’s just everyone stand down and let this thread die a natural death, without it becoming necessary for a moderator to take a more formal action. Please. Thank you.

37Blue

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
[quote=41specialdeluxe]what I can do with a big block, lowering kit, some sheet metal artwork, and electrical gadgetry and you'll never believe what a bomb it will be."

If no one will support me, then have the decency of shooting me. I'll appreciate it. Will too!

Note: I just had to rant a little. hood

Best,

Charlie computer

Regarding " DECENCY OF SHOOTING ME " . What would be the weapon of choice **you** would prefer.......RIFLE, HAND GUN....SHOT GUN , SPEAR, KNIFE, SWORD, CROSSBOW ?

mike lynch

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.