Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#420989 02/05/19 09:15 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Although I've been a VCCA member long term, I have never understood the "Members Only" vs "Forums" difference, if there is any. I have tried to 'sign-in" the "Members Only" section but am told "that password and user ID not recognized" What's the reason for TWO passwords to begin with? Am I misunderstanding something? Thanks for your thoughts, Gene

52Conv
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
It is my understanding that if you are a member of the VCCA and are logged onto Chatter, then you automagically can access and participate in the Members Only forums. When a VCCA member just browses the forums and is not logged on, the 'Members Only' forums are not available to that person.

This is one of the benefits of belonging to the club. For example, discussions about the direction of the club are limited to club members. Folks who are registered to participate in the Chatter forums, but are not VCCA members, do not have access to these areas.

So, two passwords are not necessary for the Chatter forums.

I think a separate issue is the the need to log onto the VCCA home site vs. the forums. I believe the goal is to have one user ID and password for both, but that has not been achieved yet. So, you have to log onto the home site separately from the Chatter forums.

Best regards, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If your Chat profile hasnt been linked to the VCCA membership behind the scenes (a manual operation by a few moderators) the members only section isnt available. My guess is 1 of the so appointed moderators will read this thread and make the adjustments required.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
gpallen2 is listed as a VCCA member on Chat. I believe as pointed out in Dean's last paragraph the requirement for different passwords in the main VCCA website and here in Chat are the question. The fact that the software used at each site is does not permit a single log in and password for both. That is being worked on but is far above my pay grade to understand or fix. Still trying to understand how electrons passing down a wire can get so complicated?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Chipper,

You obviously know more about fig newtons than I, but are you sure electrons pass down a wire?

I thought they just sat there until influenced by a charge from the next one to it and then just passed the message on down the line, electron by electron.

I suppose your training suggests that there really is "juice" in that there power line.

Best and I'm just messin' with you.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Well Charlie you may be partially correct much to the amazement of several. And to get things more accurate, I don't know much about fig newtons except that they tend to induce movement (specifics reserved due to several issues). Do know much more about oat meal, ginger snaps and plain old chocolate chip cookies.

There is still some debate as to whether the electrons in a given atom actually move to the next atom or merely transfer the equivalent energy electron to electron. No matter suffice to describe the movement of power along a transmission line any way you want. The result is movement of energy (in some form and quantity) from point A to point B. Now don't force me to describe those points in detail unless you want an extensive diatribe that nearly no one (maybe even me) will understand.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
In fear of taking the thread of course I have been told it is only the outer electrons the actually conduct electrickary, which is why multi strand wire can carry higher amperage than a single strand of the same cross section.
Tony

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I too have been a VCCA member for over 30 years and cannot get into members only stuff. I also don't have the VCCA logo on my profile. Don't know why.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Unfortunately because of the incompatibility of the two different softwares VCCA members need to request to be added to the VCCA member list on Chat. There are a limited number of elves that can make that change. I am one of them. If you provide me enough information to be able to verify your VCCA membership in a PM I can make that change.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I certainly didn't intend to get off into something that has no answer, but apparently I'm not alone in my confusion. I have provided my VCCA membership number, as I see that PeterV has, which should in some way legitimize the request. I'm not sure that asking for additional information with which to verify that membership or asking when I last paid my dues should be the appropriate response to the request. I understand that software problems can cause hangups and that's OK. It's very confusing that we have "Members Only" sections in the "base" program and another "Members Only" section that is this restricted. I'm REALLY curious now to see what this is. (I am over 21!)
gpallen2

52Conv
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
PeterV,
I did find a VCCA membership number that matched name and town in the VCCA membership database. So I have changed your permissions to VCCA member. Hope you enjoy the expanded privileges.

Peter if you go into your profile you will be able to make the change to show the VCCA logo.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Gene,
The is an answer to your initial question[quote] What's the reason for TWO passwords to begin with?[-quote] and you were given it early in this thread. To hopefully make it more clear, there are two distinct websites for the VCCA. Each uses a different host and therefore different software. Those two are not currently 100% compatible. So it is necessary to have separate registration and passwords for each site. Peter and others are working toward having the main VCCA site and Chat 100% compatible. It is costly and will require moving one or both to different hosts. In the mean time we have to deal with the situation as it exists. None of us are completely happy and have not been for some time. I would much prefer to not have to take my time to verify membership and manually make the changes but I do it so others can enjoy Chat and the IRS is happy.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The process Chipper has described has been used for at least as long as I have been a member, some 14 years. I understand there is an effort being made for some software changes that may address this issue and others as well.

As for logo placement, as I recall the individual member needs to set that “switch” in their respective member profile. To do that go up to top of the banner where your Chat “handle/name” appears. Click on the tiny arrow next to the name, scroll down the list of options shown and if you are a dues paying member that has been recognized, as Chipper indicated, there will be a place to check a box. The logo should then show up in your profile and signature. Perhaps this is another issue that would be addressed with a software change? As I see it, however, some members regardless of reason, may not want that designation shown so what then?

As for “Members Only” content: typically that section provides some discussion about club business and features such as photos and discussions about members collections some prefer not be broadcast more widely.

Hope this info helps.

Oops...Chipper replied while I was typing my response, so mine is a bit redundant.

Last edited by 37Blue; 02/08/19 10:23 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Lee,
Better to be redundant than not try to explain the situation as we understand it. Thanks for the additional information.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
So I only signed up a few days ago, and the initial question in this thread came to my mind. What I thought might be the case though, and I didn't research it in depth, is that you had to pay to be a full fledged VCCA member, and the chat/forum section was not that membership. Is that the case, or do I have it wrong? I would be thrilled to be able to see members individual restoration pictures and information in order to and as I decide what kind of project to undertake, if any.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There are a few forums in Chat that are restricted to VCCA members only. Also posting photos directly on Chat is reserved for VCCA members. Photos can be posted with an internet photo host and public photo address. It is one of many incentives for people to be VCCA members and financially support Chat like the rest of VCCA members.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Chipper,
So I assume then that my take on it is right, that to be a full fledged member with all the bells and whistles is a paid membership? Just checking...not complaining :) Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
David
If I may, yes that is correct. Chat membership is a bit different. That level provides access to features you and others, including dues paying members of the club enjoy. In addition, dues paying members get access to the features Chipper listed, including a monthly magazine and the option to participate in a variety of club and local regional events.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Chat membership is free and allows access to a lot of this forum but then when you are a dues paying member of the VCCA you get more of the forum including posting pics direct + access to all the VCCA activities, a lot of which us from down under miss out on.
Tony

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, I am still at a loss as to what steps I need to take to be admitted to the "Members Only" status. Over a week ago, I made that request. I was asked to confirm that my dues were paid. I went to my checkbook, determined when the check was written; went to my bank statement to assure that the check had cleared, which it had. I checked my membership card, which has the same number as is listed on my "header", with an expiration of 9-1-2019. I furnished the requested info and waited for some action to take place. ? It's hard to believe that in this age of computer literacy, any of this has to be done "manually", but if that's the case, so be it. 'Seems like such an inefficient solution to an obvious problem.
Gene

52Conv
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
If you are a member of the VCCA and your status on the forum doesn't reflect it, please email me at memberservices@vcca.org with your name and member number (if you have it) and I'll fix your status.

I agree, this is in inefficient solutions, but it's what we have for the time being.

Instructions are also posted on the top section of the home page of the website:

VCCA MEMBERS: Unless you did so previously, VCCA members must register to use the forum. Once registered ask to access the members-only area. NOTE: VCCA membership login is different that VCCAchat.org login.

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Per his profile his member number is 43742 Name is Gene Allen from Member Search.Was not hard to find. Hope this helps. This post has been Emailed to : memberservices@vcca.org

Last edited by m006840; 02/14/19 09:55 PM.

Steve D
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Gene, your permissions have been updated and you now have access to member only features!

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My thanks to Peter and m006940 for their assistance. 'not sure where the train left the tracks but sure seemed to experience a detour. Seems like there should be a simpler route.
Thanks again for the help, Gene

52Conv
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The train is serviced by volunteer members that moderate and perform other duties and sometimes it's a hit or miss situation. Getting the chief engineer involved helps .

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.