Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#420786 02/01/19 04:02 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi. Where can I find to read online a 1934 Chevrolet parts manual. I am trying to identify the correct positions of packers associated with the grill, radiator front guard mounting cradle bracket set up.
Regards Paul Mitchell

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750

Paul, here is a link to the 1929-1941 Chevrolet parts manual. You will have to enlighten me as to what a "packer" is.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_41/index.html

Bill Masters
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A parts book is not likely to help much to determine the location of anything on your car. Your best bet is to hope that some '34 (ish) owners here on chat can answer your questions.
I have a '35 Standard with pretty much the same arrangement in the grille and front fender area.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike and Bill thanks for your replies. Yes Mike you are correct I can't Identify items in the Manual link Bill sent (Thank you Bill) I am sure 35 would be the same set up as used on 33 34 35 Chevrolets. What I need to know is a Shim Packer material (similar to a conveyor belt) 3/16 to a1/4 inch thick used between The Chassis and the steel frame Cradle (support frame) and also placed between top of Cradle frame and Grille mounting points, is it used on both or only on one of the mounting points as I can see where I place the shims will make a difference to the height and alignment of hood.

have taken photo's which I can email for you to see what I am trying to explain.
Paul.

Last edited by Paul_Mitchell; 02/01/19 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750

Paul, I used a 5/8 inch piece of hard rubber between the U-shaped radiator support and the frame. Under the car's frame is a 1/4 inch piece of hard rubber, a flat piece of steel about 1/8 inch thick, flat washers, lock washers and nuts. These dimensions worked for me without using shims. To get your sheet metal aligned, you may have to experiment with different thicknesses and shims. There are companies near me that sell sheet rubber, and they give me small scrap pieces in different thicknesses. They became very friendly and helpful when I told them that I was using the pieces on old Chevrolets. Send me the pictures in an email to make sure I understand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bill Masters
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Here is what Ford uses on its 33/34 Ford radiator mounting! I takes off the load from vibration and body twisting of the radiator mounting tabs! Plus here is McMasters Carrs link: https://www.mcmaster.com/ for all sorts of rubber thickness plus many different durometers to choose from!
Rory

Attached Images
Radiatormountingkit.jpg
Last edited by roara; 02/02/19 02:17 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Paul,
The arrangement described by Bill is pretty much the same for all Chevies for MANY years. If all you need is the soft material and not the bolts plate, etc. Try this. If you are in farm country, find someone with a hay baler that uses belts. Those belts are made of almost the exact material that Chevrolet used. A farmer or dealer will likely have a used belt around that is no longer useful to him. I'm sure it will be free for the asking. You can cut off what you need.

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 02/03/19 03:49 PM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Thanks for Information. I have plenty of material to make shims / spacer / rubber belting. My question query is do I add a rubber spacer At the Bottom of the support bracket ie between support bracket and Chassis / Frame. And them do I place another Shim / spacer / rubber belting at the top of the support bracket between the
bracket and the Grille mounting point. Or do I only install the spacer/ rubber belting to the lower mounting point between support bracket and chassis / frame.

I will send photo's

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I think the shell bolts directly to the support. All shimming is done at the bottom.
Since holes must line up, shell to fenders, fenders to brackets, brackets to support, support to shell, It might be necessary to ad some shims at shell to support, to fine tune everything.Ttrial and error.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All. I have now aligned Doors to Body. Body to Frame. Grille to Hood. Hood to Body. Fenders to Body / Grille This was quite a job. Thanks for help and tips I am glad that's behind me and I can move on to painting the front fenders.

Cheers Paul.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.