Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I need some help. I have fallen in love with a car that is featured in the movie "A walk to Remember. " I am pretty sure it is a classic chevy. It is the car that the main guy drives and it is red and has two wide white stripes down the hood, across the top and down the trunk. I know this painting style is typical of chevelles, but this isn't one- the trunk has a sort of flaring up thing at the very end. If you could help i would greatly appreciate it!
thanks a bunch- wondering auto

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Wondering-

I haven't seen the movie, but your description of a sixties Chevy with wide hood stripes and flaring at the trunk end (spoiler) could describe a 1968-1969 Camaro Z28. The spoiler was also offered as an option on the Hugger SS model. It was one of the nicest (and quickest) cars of the sixties, and my buddies and I drooled over them at the local Chevy showroom when we were in high school. chevy

"Life is completer in a boat!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just bumped into a 1969 Z28 on ebay! Is this like the car you saw?

Z28 Camaro

What a beauty!

SPEEDLINE
chevy

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
chevy chevy If one were to fall in "LOVE". Then what better with, then a Chevrolet. To my way of thinking anyway. LOL chevy chevy

V.C.C.A. - (National) - (S.O.C.R. #7) - M.C.A.A.C. (NOT V.C.C.A. - "local").... http://www.mcaac.mb.ca * * * Chevys are G R E A T * * *.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yes! that's the one! Thank you so much for replying. I have been looking all over for the type of car it was! no i just have to find a crappy one i can fix up cause i don't think i could afford one that is already restored or still in good condition- unless i find someone who doesn't know what they have wink anyway- thanks again!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have one more question for you- i have been looking this car up in several places for prices etc. i have found several that say camaro z28 clone- what does that mean? That it isn't an actual chevy? help would be greatly appreciated! thanks again!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Calling it a Z28 clone means that it came from the factory as a plain Camaro, then somone added Z28 parts and paint to make it look like one. There are a couple of ways to tell the differance,
1. See the original Bill of Sale for the car.
2. Research the serial number to prove it's a Z28.
Dan.

Together we can do anything. The impossible just takes longer.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Wondering-

I'm Glad I could help you solve your mystery car! As Dan said, a clone is a Camaro that didn't start out as a Z28, but was made to look like one. That is not necessarily a bad thing, because if it was built right and with attention to detail, the car would be nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. The Z28 was a low production, top of the line Camaro, and real ones sell for big bucks... that is why you see "clones" for sale. Some were built to try to fool people, others were built that way because the guy wanted one, but couldn't afford the real thing. With mid-fifties and newer Chevrolets, all engine, transmission, rear end, and many other pieces of the car have a number cast into the metal. These numbers can be identified in different books, and they will tell which year and model car they were built for. In the case of a Z28, all numbers will be specific to only that model car, and to the purist, all the numbers must match to verify that it is not a fake. Some collectors will not touch a car that is not "numbers matching", and others just like the look of the car and it doesn't matter if the engine is a 350 and not a 302. The beauty of Chevrolets is that, unless you start deciphering numbers, a 350 looks exactly like a 302, and a plain-Jane rear end looks like a Z28 rear end!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you like the look of that Z28, and don't care about the numbers thing, and don't want to spend $30,000 on a real one... buy yourself a base 1968-69 Camaro, add a spoiler, a nice Hugger Orange paint job with wide stripes, install a new 350 V8 from the Chevrolet Parts department, and HAVE FUN! laugh

SPEEDLINE
chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.