Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#410841 07/07/18 01:03 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am having trouble with my hood binding on the center hinge.( Not sitting flat ) Has anyone de-riveted the hinge plates off the side of the hood or the secret to making it fit correctly. Is it possible to purchase replacement rivets in USA, any suggestion welcome.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Carefully check the crimping of each fold to see if it is out of alignment. Look at the rod that passes through to see if it is worn. This may have rusted out. Try using a lubricant. Check the holding attachments on each end for wear. From your comments looks like you have decided to replace it?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Paul_Mitchell
I am having trouble with my hood binding on the center hinge.( Not sitting flat ) Has anyone de-riveted the hinge plates off the side of the hood or the secret to making it fit correctly. Is it possible to purchase replacement rivets in USA, any suggestion welcome.

A chrome plated center hood hinge is available on ebay, like the 34 master has. Have not noticed any for sale for a while. I drilled out the stock rivets and replaced them with 10/32 button head allen heads and nylock nuts. Or use lock washers and thin nuts.

If its binding , it must have debris in the folding joint or rust ? Or maybe its slightly bent. Either way if its got a bend its fixable. You should be able to slide the 2 halves together without binding.

The rivets, no idea if you can buy them

mike lynch

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have painted the hood and was in the process of fitting the two center sides of the hood together, they both slide together OK but just wont travel down to the full position.
I do wonder if its caused through a build up of new paint although I have just gone and wet rubbed with sand paper in the hinge areas.this has not improved the problem. I don't think the hood has been ben,t it was fine when last on the car (many years ago) If I could purchase a new center hinge I would. If anyone know's where to buy please let me know.
Thanks for your help. Paul Mitchell

Last edited by Paul_Mitchell; 07/07/18 05:24 PM. Reason: did not sign name
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Mike. I will look on eBay today. I have never seen any for sale. Sadly eBay blocks items from us overseas unless the seller allows for sale out side USA and Canada, you are so lucky. If you do come across a seller, please let me know. Do you think I should place a request on VCCA Chats wanted listings. I will go down to the shed to day and drill out the hinges and see if I can see why it wont travel further. It really is a bummer when you think you are assembling to competition and then the next thing you are going backwards. last week it was my right hand fender would not fit up correctly, I found that the problem was that the fender support arm was not the correct shape compared to the left hand fender arm, I heated the right arm to the same shape as the left and then fitted them both up no problem. it's a mystery to me how the fenders fitted when I last had the car on the road. Joy's of car restoration

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Paul, I bought the semi-tubular rivets for the fenders, radiator shell and the hood latch mechanism on my 1934 Master from Hanson Rivet & Supply Co. https://www.hansonrivet.com/
The fender braces on my car are side-specific; I don't know if they are on your car.

Bill Masters
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Bill. Thanks for the information on the Rivet supply Co.I will measure up my rivet size and contact them. The rivets on the hood appear (on a quick glance) to be the same as the ones I have drilled out of my inner fender side panels. I will go and measure them.
You are correct the fender arms are side-specific I had that correct.
My problem was it had a different curve as if it had been flattened in the curve itself, I have no idea how this could happened.
Paul Mitchell.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Paul_Mitchell
Thanks Mike. I will look on eBay today. I have never seen any for sale. Sadly eBay blocks items from us overseas unless the seller allows for sale out side USA and Canada, you are so lucky.

PAUL MITCHELL..........here is how you get around ebay rules. Find somebody relative or friend or ??? who will allow you to list their address in ebay for shipping , as yours. If thats SHOWN as your main shipping address . You will be able to access all listings on ebay usa.

You will need that same person to accept anything you order and store it for 3-6 months and ship it to an L A package forwarder. Mark Taylor in Cleveland Queensland Australia knows the name of that company. I gave you his email address a few years ago, nothing has changed.

I drive across the border every 90 days to pick up my stuff I have purchased and shipped to friends address.

mike lynch

If you do come across a seller, please let me know. Do you think I should place a request on VCCA Chats wanted listings. I will go down to the shed to day and drill out the hinges and see if I can see why it wont travel further. It really is a bummer when you think you are assembling to competition and then the next thing you are going backwards. last week it was my right hand fender would not fit up correctly, I found that the problem was that the fender support arm was not the correct shape compared to the left hand fender arm, I heated the right arm to the same shape as the left and then fitted them both up no problem. it's a mystery to me how the fenders fitted when I last had the car on the road. Joy's of car restoration

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
What you see on Ebay is dependent on which site you are logged into. I have the same issue if I log into Ebay Canada - some USA listings are blocked. If I go to Ebay USA and login, then I can see everything in the USA site. You may need to delete cookies after you log out of your home country.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I never log on to ebay unless I want to save something on my watch list or bid on something.

By not logging on, you see all the US and Canadian items.

;-) Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi all. I have removed the hinge from the hood. Removed all paint and the hinge will still not allow full travel..I have checked the hinge for straightness, in the mean time I have bought a new hinge from The Filling station. I can use this replacement if I need to, I would need to shorten the hinge as it is too long and the pre drilled holes do not match the original, the chrome plating is not great, if I must end up using it I will need to re-chrome the hinge.. I can now see my original hinge curves are binding on each other when compared to the F/S replacement .unfortunately I can't see how to remedy or work out why it has happened.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The longer hinge is from a 1934 master and does need to be shortened 1" + to work on the standard. Originally the 34 master had a stainless steel center hinge... Neither of them the stock or repo holes will line up with the standards.

If chrome plating is junk, send it back for a better one. The standard is supposed to be painted.

On the stock bent hinge, separate the 2 parts, place the folded over part onto a perfectly flat surface. Now you can see exactly which area you need to correct. You might be able to get a chisel down into the slot and tap on the part to start straightening. If you can get a chisel down there, think about rounding off the end to a U shape using a belt sander.

Take your time and think about what your trying to accomplish , before getting heavy hammered with it.

Use 10/32 stainless button head or reg steel button head Allan heads along with nylocks to replace the factory rivets. You can now control the pressure put on the center hinge when putting it together. You do not want to distort the hood metal from tightening too much , as it will put draw marks in the panel.

mike lynch

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.