Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#409426 06/09/18 11:07 PM
Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I’m looking for some help on fixing the horn in a 34 truck. The horn doesn’t sound when I hit the button, all I get is a click at the horn. I wired the horn directly to a 12v battery and it beeped. The truck has a 12v system. The horn is original. The electrical system does have a horn relay in the fuse block. And I have a resistor in line to reduce the volts down. Has anyone experienced something similar or can you give me some recommendations to check to get this horn working?

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Pete
To me it sounds like the horn needs adjusting, There will most likely be a screw (possibly with a lock nut) on the back of the main body, this adjusts the sound of the horn but if it is too far in or out the horn does as you say "click". The easy way is have someone hold the button down while you do the adjust the screw (the noise may upset the neighbours) and the hard way is to adjust the screw a little then push the button then repeat until it makes the required sound. You dont need to turn the screw very far to make it work.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Pete,

My 12 volt 1977 impala has this problem about every 2 or 3 years. For me it is just a ground problem and tightening up the bolt fastener on the horn bracket takes care of it. The same problem can be duplicated with a poorly charged battery. Electrical components do not do well when not well grounded. I don't like to make horn internal adjustment until everything else is tried.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I didn't try adjusting since it does work when I hot wired it directly to the battery and it beeped just fine. And when I did that the horn itself wasn't mounted at all so I'm thinking thats not the issue. I appreciate those ideas just wished one of them worked. Any other ideas out there? I'm not the best with the electrical end of things. Just still perplexed.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Even though the horn worked on the bench, it might still be a ground issue (the horn bracket not grounding well) when it is mounted in the car.

To help ensure a good ground, lightly sand the paint and corrosion around the bolt area on the bracket itself and also where the bracket mounts. Then, place a star lock washer between the bracket and its mount, which will dig into the steel and help ensure a good ground.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 06/11/18 10:40 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If it works off the car now it isnt adjustment and as others have said check the earths.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The '34 horn does not need to be grounded. One wire to the horn terminals is always hot and the other provides the ground when the horn button is pushed (completing the circuit).

The horn requires a significant amount of power to operate the electromagnet so the entire circuit must be in good condition. I suspect that the ground circuit from the horn is the problem. It can be wire size, condition of contacts, etc. My suggestion is to trace the wiring so you know which is the hot terminal (will have battery voltage if you use a meter). The take a wire and ground the other terminal. Holding one end on the terminal while touching the other end of the wire to a bare spot on the engine, chassis or ? should result in the horn sounding. If it doesn't then the wiring from the battery to the horn is suspect. If is does sound then the circuit through the horn button is suspect. If you have a meter you can check the resistance from the horn, through the button and then the ground. There are several places that can have a problem. Testing the circuit in sections will find the problem(s).

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Pops36, Greg_H, andsome07, wesb), 90 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.