Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#409394 06/09/18 08:15 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 51 metal body "woody" and am considering installing a 53 P/S unit. (that I also have) The car is unrestored and I've had this thing forever but am now thinking of restoration. What degree of value loss (if any) would this bring to the value of the finished car? I'm a retired auto body tech and will with the exception of engine and trans, I will complete all the work myself. This move would make the car more drivable for my geezing old but.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
A person that would want a pure stock car for judging purposes may not want the power steering. For a buyer that is spoiled by power steering on newer cars would prefer it. So it depends on what is desired.
Make sure that you have all the odd power steeering parts required such as the steering column, drag link, idler arm, and balancer.
If the power steering was reoved from a car with Power Glide the colums/shift parts will not work on a 1951 with a standard ransmission.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 06/09/18 09:14 AM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I had purchased a complete setup from steering wheel to tire rod ends including pump and hoses quite a long time ago at Carlisle. My wagon is a Powerglide and so was the car this came out of. I've had my 51 since the early 70s and drove it daily but now it sits in mothballs awaiting a complete resto. I intend to drive it again when (if) I ever finish it and the P/S would make it much easier.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
considering the size of a stock steering wheel, you have lots of leverage to turn the wheels without P S. Throw on a 15" wheel and you will feel the increased leverage you will need.

The stock size tires have no scrub on them , not like running a 50--60 series tire , where it would increase the scrub over stock quite a bit.

Other solution would be to do some weights and bulk up your arms.

mike

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Findoctr, another though to make the conversion is to add an Electric Power Steering, no pumps, hoses, fluids, or leaks. Your hydraulic power steering system can drain as much as 5-8 hp from your engine and cost you somewhere between 1-3 mpg of fuel.

Here is one site of many company's that make that setup!

https://www.jegs.com/p/EPAS-Perform...teering-Conversion-Kits/3542551/10002/-1

Also another link:

http://www.unisteer.com/electric-power-steering/search-by-product/electric-power-steering.html

Rory

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.