Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I need some help with the mounting of my firewall clutch boot on my 66 Chevelle. I heard that 64-67s are the same. I think I might have the wrong boot, (68 up). I now have the firewall boot retainer ring (medal) because mine was missing.

Does the metal retainer go on the inside of the car or the outside? And does the boot go on from the inside or outside? [The small portion of the boot (round) would be on the under the hood side around the clutch rod and the triangle part of the boot would be inside the car] Does this sound correct???

Does the retainer ring mount with hex head sheet metal screws?

If anyone has any photos, I would appreciate it. I have a black and white drawing in a Chevelle book, but it is difficult to see how it should mount.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jim M.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Jim
I found the following info. in my 1972 parts book: Pt#. 9776826-fits 64-67 Chevelle, seal,bellows type (boot) pt#. 3903973-fits 64-67 Chevelle ,retainer. pt#. 399904 clutch push rod seal-fits 68-69 Cheville, no retainer is listed. The picture shows that the boot is installed over the push rod on the outside of the cowl. The retainer is installed on the lip of the boot and attached with#18X3/8 screws. I can't tell if they are phillips or hex head. In the Arlington Assembly plant these boots were installed in the Trim shop after the clutch and brake assembly was installed, this was before the body was installed on the frame.

DANDYD

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
DANDYD,

Thanks for the response.

Great information, glad you knew the size of the screws.

This will help out immensely.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim M.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.