Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using some kind of pump to suck the gear oil out of the rear end instead of removing the axle housing cover? If so, what kind of pump and where did you buy it? Don't know if it would work. But if it works there would be less chance of stripping old screws in the housing.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just take out a bottom bolt on the cover. Put a pan under first. Go get a cup of coffee, donut, shave, brush your teeth. Come back a couple of hours later and the rear end will be drained.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, I guess that was a pretty dumb question. Thanks for the advise Chipper. That's what I'll do.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree that is the easy way to drain the rear axle even when you are planning to remove the cover.

Just remember to put some sealant on the threads of that bolt when you reinstall it.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Good advice Rusty. Thanks. I'll get some permatex.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Jonda1
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using some kind of pump to suck the gear oil out of the rear end instead of removing the axle housing cover? If so, what kind of pump and where did you buy it? Don't know if it would work. But if it works there would be less chance of stripping old screws in the housing.

I actually have a tool for drawing the fluid out of something, like a rear end. Its a canister about the size of a caulking tube, with a nipple on the end that a rubber hose attaches to. You insert the rubber hose and pull on the handle to draw the fluid out and into the canister. Push handle to remove the fluid. Can be very time consuming, taking a bolt out and waiting for fluid to drain makes more sense, but the tool does get used on a couple of jobs. Removing summer windshield washer fluid was last job.

I got the tool at Princess auto here in Canada, less than $10.......... 5 years ago.

mike lynch

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Has the differential cover ever been off or has it been a really long time since it came off?

If either case is true, I suggest pulling the cover off so that you can get any sludge out of there. The sludge won't drain through the bottom cover bolt hole.

Also, you cannot inspect the innards by just draining the oil and replenishing it. There might be a chipped gear tooth and the loose chip is sitting in the sludge.

It's better to err on the side of safety, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would suggest pipe thread or just thread sealant would be better than Permatex. Just clean the bolt off in mineral spirits, and clean out the female threads with shop rag or paper towel right before installing the coated bolt. Removing permatex in the future could be tedious.

I got my sealant at NAPA, can't recall who made it. I use it on all water pump, and (later V8) intake manifold bolts to stop oil wicking out of the lifter valley onto the top of the manifold.

Doug

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Jonda1

If you still like the suction pump idea, here's an example of what will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Wekster-Mult...&keywords=suction+pump+oil&psc=1

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm thinking I should remove the cover and check it out. When I bought the car almost a year and a half ago I changed all of the fluids except the differential. I checked it and added a small amount to it.
What would be the best gasket sealer and thread sealant to use on the cover? I used to use permatex when I was a young man. In the military we used to use a sealant designated as MILSPEC-8802. It worked great but can't be bought on the civilian market.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I like permatex #2. It stays soft.

THH Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Perfect timing. Thanks to all

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
When refilling the rear axle I use a 2L pex coke bottle with a plastic fitting removed from a 1pt gear oil container.The gear oil container extendible fitting is the same size as the coke bottle opening. Fill the coke bottle completely with 2 quarts of oil and as the bottle empties you can squeeze it out of shape and lift it up against the underfloor to empty it.I warm up the 600 wt gear oil for my '36 first to make this process faster.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.