Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
My wife has had it with New York winters. Our daughter is moving to North Carolina and my wife wants to move somewhere within a few hours drive of Charlotte. My concern is that many of the newer communities may not be friendly to a neighbor who likes to work on his old car. We are looking for a small to mid sized community where we could walk to shops (coffee) and walk the dog without dealing with heavy traffic. I would appreciate ideas from anyone familiar with the area.

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I am a transplant from Cleveland, Ohio, where the winters are long, and the sunny days are few.

We moved to Hendersonville, NC 4 years ago.

Hendersonville is a small quaint town, established in 1847, with a BEAUTIFUL downtown area where you can walk, ride, visit various attraction, restaurants, shopping etc.

Several restaurants downtown are pet friendly, at their outside patios.

Many things to see and do in Hendersonville WITHOUT the crazy traffic, which you find in Charlotte.

Downtown "main street" has constant year round attractions, including several car shows during the cruising season, for us folks who love the old rides.

You're looking a neighborhood that is "friendly" to someone working on cars, that can be a challenge anywhere in the USA, if the car hobbyist, abuses the good natured neighbors and creates bad neighbor relations.

My neighborhood is a highly wooded subdivision, private, with no specific rules against car repairs, but, like anything else, ABUSE is the enemy of happy neighbors.

Population within HENDERSONVILLE is approx.. 14,000 residents, located 15 miles south of Asheville, NC and TWO HOURS / 100 MILES WEST OF CHARLOTTE.

My only regret is that our move wasn't done sooner.

Always convenient to get from point A to point B in the Hendersonville area.

Geez, I sound like a tour guide.

Click here ........ https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/

If you have further questions or comments, you can contact me at bobg1951chevy@ellijay.com

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks Bob,
Hendersonville Is where my wife has been looking. I have seen several good looking properties on Zillow. PM me if you see something I should look at.
Thanks again

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Bare_Feet
Thanks Bob,
Hendersonville Is where my wife has been looking. I have seen several good looking properties on Zillow. PM me if you see something I should look at.
Thanks again

You need to provide me with some dollar parameters, along with your wants and needs in a home.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree with Bob. Hendersonville is beautiful area and it has a car show nearby at Fletcher each 4th of July weekend. The drive down from Hendersonville toward South Carolina on I-26 is breathtaking. Actually coming upI-26 toward Fletcher is quite special also. If I were to move from Fayetteville,NC to somewhere else withing 2-3 hours of Charlottle, I would pick Hendersonville. Lots of folk live in the woods around there.

Actually, there is only one thing that is wrong with Hendersonville. That stinkin' Bob lives there. Agrin That's a small price to pay for the next best thing to Eden. If you try real hard you may be able to figure out his routine and avoid running into him.

Yes, despite the one drawback, I would highly recommend Hendersonville. dance

Happy hunting for a good prospect to buy a home there.

Charlie computer

BTW: Bob is a great guy. He seems the type who will help you by handing you your tools whilst you work on your old car.

BTW2: There is not a large piece of flat ground in the area,

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 04/20/18 10:15 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
I agree with Bob. Hendersonville is beautiful area and it has a car show nearby at Fletcher each 4th of July weekend. The drive down from Hendersonville toward South Carolina on I-26 is breathtaking. Actually coming upI-26 toward Fletcher is quite special also. If I were to move from Fayetteville,NC to somewhere else withing 2-3 hours of Charlottle, I would pick Hendersonville. Lots of folk live in the woods around there.

Actually, there is only one thing that is wrong with Hendersonville. That stinkin Bob lives there. That's a small price to pay for the next best thing to Eden. If you try real hard you may be able to figure out his routine and avoid running into him.

Yes, despite the one drawback, I would highly recommend Hendersonville.

Happy hunting for a good prospect to buy a home there.

Charlie

Watch what you say Charlie, I have a dump truck load of FULTON VISORS ready for delivery to you address in Fayetteville ! dance carbana

Charlie, you hit the nail on the head ...... I do my best work handing tools to others with lightning speed. dance

And yes, being in the foothills of the mountains, a flat piece of land is not as common as you would see in Kansas.

Our specific elevation at our home is 2,200 feet, with the highest elevation in our area being Mt Mitchell area at 6;600 feet.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program, the VCCA FORUM.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
My sister Becke and I visited Bob and his wife Babs last August. They showed us around town and had lunch with them. Real nice downtown and area. Just wish we would have had more time together.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Keith Knox
My sister Becke and I visited Bob and his wife Babs last August. They showed us around town and had lunch with them. Real nice downtown and area. Just wish we would have had more time together.

Yes Keith, we certainly enjoyed your visit, enjoyed spending time with you and Becke.

Not enough time together was said to me by my wife ...... and I agreed.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I will echo what Bob said. I live about 20 miles up the road from him and I love it here. It's a great place for old car lovers and there are lots of us around here. You can't do better than living in North Carolina's Great Smoky Mountains!

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I guess I had better get a move on. I have been planning to move to the Ashville/Hendersonville area for about a year now as one of my son's lives there. Now I see in a posting from above that someone just up the road from me (Spencerport, NY)is planning to move there also. So, if any of you NC guys in that area see a nice home with a three car garage, or room to build one, please let me know! Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I may as well throw the hat in for Boiling Springs S.C. ) not the one in N.C. but close to it.
We are just down the road from Hendersonville, which I love to visit, and we are just across the Interstate 85 from Spartanburg. This little town is booming. New housing going up everywhere. Lots of old car and truck guys around this area and many car cruise ins, shows and such. We are about 70 miles from Charlotte, 25 miles to Greenville, S.C., and the airport is about 20 minutes south. Lake Blalock, Lake Bowen, and a couple more. Gaffney, my home town, is just maybe 10 miles from the N.C. line and 20 miles from Shelby, N.C. The "upstate" here is doing well. Timken and Stouffers in Gaffney, BMW in Greer about 15 miles from Spartanburg and lots of other places for decent employment if anyone is looking to also work. Maybe worth a look and the taxes are not that bad!

45 minutes to Hendersonville/Smoky Mountains, 31/2 hours to Myrtle Beach.

Bob, Charlie, Chip, if your down my way let me know. The hot dogs and a good cold Pepsi or on me. I'm 3 miles off I-26 and 3 miles from I-85.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Coupe
1953 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than ride in a Ferd.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
BARE FEET AND BEAMER, here is the website for a local real estate located in Hendersonville, with another branch in Asheville.

BEVERLY HANKS REALTY is very well rooted in our area, providing many transactions ...... we used them and were very satisfied !

https://www.beverly-hanks.com/offices/hendersonville

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
I may as well throw the hat in for Boiling Springs S.C. ) not the one in N.C. but close to it.
We are just down the road from Hendersonville, which I love to visit, and we are just across the Interstate 85 from Spartanburg. This little town is booming. New housing going up everywhere. Lots of old car and truck guys around this area and many car cruise ins, shows and such. We are about 70 miles from Charlotte, 25 miles to Greenville, S.C., and the airport is about 20 minutes south. Lake Blalock, Lake Bowen, and a couple more. Gaffney, my home town, is just maybe 10 miles from the N.C. line and 20 miles from Shelby, N.C. The "upstate" here is doing well. Timken and Stouffers in Gaffney, BMW in Greer about 15 miles from Spartanburg and lots of other places for decent employment if anyone is looking to also work. Maybe worth a look and the taxes are not that bad!

45 minutes to Hendersonville/Smoky Mountains, 31/2 hours to Myrtle Beach.

Bob, Charlie, Chip, if your down my way let me know. The hot dogs and a good cold Pepsi or on me. I'm 3 miles off I-26 and 3 miles from I-85.

ACHIPMUNK, we travel to Spartanburg on occasion ...... we'll check in with you before making a trip down there.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hey Alvin, go to your profile and check the box to add the club logo to your posts. That way everyone knows you're a member.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I really appreciate the feedback from you guys, so much to think about. We will be coming down to look around.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
bobq1951chevy,
Thanks for the heads up on a good realtor. My son in Ashville has a realtor we purchased a condo through (for our business) but I think he may just handle commercial property. I will note Beverly Hanks just in case. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Anyone coming down to check out Hendersonville area, you may want to stay over one night in Asheville's Grove Park Inn. It was built in 1913 and is just beautiful as one would expect from that era. luv2 dance

Just a treat thought to pass along. And, of courst there is Biltmore also. And, downtown Asheville there are lots of artists, et al.

Good hunting,

Charlie computer

BTW: I forgot to mention Chip and Jimmy Moore in the Hendersonville area. Great guys all. Yes, including Bob. (Now that right there about Bob did hurt some.) Agrin

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 04/22/18 01:34 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Wish it was as easy as loading a Uhaul for us after this past winter. I'd park Cousin Eddie's RV in your driveway Charlie.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Just note there is a Hendersonville, NC (West of Charlotte) and and Henderson, NC (North of Raleigh)

dont get the two confused !!

i have been to Charlotte, nice place, lots of things going on and developing there !! actually went to BoA Stadium few years back to watch the Bears smack around the Panther :) was a great time, good people, and tons to see and do.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
Just note there is a Hendersonville, NC (West of Charlotte) and and Henderson, NC (North of Raleigh)

dont get the two confused !!

i have been to Charlotte, nice place, lots of things going on and developing there !! actually went to BoA Stadium few years back to watch the Bears smack around the Panther :) was a great time, good people, and tons to see and do.

A very good point BEARS FAN 315, thank you.

For clarification, I have been speaking of HENDERSONVILLE, the town WEST of Charlotte.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.