Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Chip Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
I'm just finishing up restoration of a 1931 Phaeton and a couple of questions have arisen concerning the interior. Can any of you add an authoritative answer to the following questions?

(1) The inside door panels: Are they blind-nailed in place with no trim around the edges, nailed in place with hidem welt all the way around the edges, or nailed in place with foldover wire-on all the way around the edges?
(2) Door pockets: Front doors only, or both front and rear?
(3) Door pockets: Pouch-style with stretchy band at the top of the pouch, or recessed pouch with fold-over flap?
(4) Robe rail: Rigid rod made from round stock, or decorative rope with plated end fittings like the ones used for assist straps in closed cars?
(5) Rear Tonneau Carpet: Does it extend up the back of the front seat about 4 inches or stop at the front edge of the rear floor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Photos would be super helpful, either of a properly restored car or even better, original photos of a '31 Phaeton fresh off the production line.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Chip,

I have spent many hours going through how the interior should be on an open car from 1929 to 1935, I can send you a powerpoint presentation which I made when I was having my interior made for the 32 phaeton. It applies to most all years and has photos to document what is correct and not correct. You will see many high quality restored 1929 to 35 opens cars and the more you look at them the more that you see is wrong. I'll do that tonight when I get home, also please call me so I can go over it with you.

1. Nailed in place with wire-on all around with one piece, corners rounded.
2. Front doors only. I have a pattern for the metal flap if you need it.
3. The pocket is a hole in the cardboard just like your 32, Larry would have done it correctly. Again I can send you a pattern for the hole cutout. There is no lining inside the door, you will be able to see the wood and backside of the door skin.
4. It's a twisted rope just like the special sedan and I know someone that can make it for you.
5. This is a good question on the rear carpet, I think it just stops at the base of the rear seat raiser just like the sedans and has a vinyl covering using the same material as on the seats, the front seat has the same thing.

I have a lot of original photos and wrong photos in my powerpoint which I can send you. Also I have most of the original interior out of Pinky's 32 phaeton for reference and also Dave's 33 roadster as a reference.

Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Chip Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks Bruce, I'll give you a call.

All the Best, Chip

Any others have any information?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I found the power point on my phone, going to try and send it in Dropbox, it's 197MB

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the original door panels (front and rear) that came off my 31 phaeton. The original grey Spanish tan material is still on the cardboard backing, but it was covered over with read leather years before I got the car in 1965. I can take pictures and send you. The front door pockets are cutouts with flaps hinged by seams at the top of the flaps, the rear doors have no pockets. The panels were nailed to the door frame and covered by 'hidem' welt. The 'hidem' welt was added when the doors were recovered and may not quite reflect the original trim, which was removed when the red covering was added. The phaeton was assembled in Copenhagen. Denmark and sold new in Oslo, Norway, where I bought it from a friend. Jo Storaker #18184

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
enclosed are 3 pictures of 31 phaeton door panels, Hope they show up in the reply. Jo

Attached Images
phaetondoorpanel2.jpg phaetondoorpanel1.jpg phaetondoorpanel3.jpg
Chip Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks Jo, that's really helpful. I appreciate it. thanku

All the Best, Chip

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Here is a picture of the 31 phaeton rear door as I finished it. I copied as closely as I could the old trim (except for the original "Spanish tan grain") . I the early part of 1980's Jack Macy stopped by to see my phaeton; at that time he was restoring his 31 phaeton, and he indicated that my doors were 'very close' to original trim. I would like to see comments from the forum members as to what I missed with respect to correct door trim so I can make mine 100% (except for the material). Thank You VCCA #181814, Jo Storaker

Attached Images
Reardoor31Phaeton.jpg
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Jo,

Just a FYI, the original trim was Wire-on and not Hidem on the doors.

Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the wire-on info. Now I have a question regarding the interior rear side upholstery. As can be seen in the attached picture, my 31 has a seam with a bead (piping) close to the top of the rear. Is this original, and also regarding the wire-on (or hidem in my case), does the hidem extend all the way towards the back or does it end as shown?. On the outside of the car, the hidem extends towards the rear. Please note that my top includes "gypsies" and is not rounded off as seen in the 31 phaeton picture in the book "Cast Iron Wonder' by Doug Bell. 18184, Storaker

Attached Images
kalesjeinnenew3.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.