Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Years ago I installed a NOS glove box lock/knob assembly in my Son's '38 truck. Recently I tried to remove the assembly from an extra lid and I cannot figure out how it comes apart.
Can someone help a feeble minded old man with some pointers on this subject?
Thanks.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
According to my Briggs & Stratton service instructions 1938 commercial.

To remove lock cylinder-turn key clockwise.Push lower end of bolt backwards.Continue to turn key further until cylinder can be removed. Remove lock case by removing nut and washer.

have a nice day
35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks Lucky1. I'll give it a try.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Lucky1,
I am holding the lid in my hands and trying to figure out what I am missing with regard to the B&S instructions.
When the key is turned clockwise, the bolt slides to the locked position. As it does so, there are stepped areas on the bolt and the slot that engage and preclude the bolt from being pushed backwards (toward the back of the vehicle?) At the point where the key stops turning clockwise, the bolt is fully moved up until it is flush with the bottom of the knob casting. Because of the stepped shape of the bolt and slot, there is little movement possible in any direction.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Looking at the picture-it would appear to me that when they say "backwards" they mean away from the lock or towards the front of the truck.

have a nice day
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
here is what I had to remove the lock assembly . Pull the square outward from the back of the lock, jiggle the key and the key comes out as does the latch.
To reassemble, push the latch in until it clicks, look into the lock cavity and push the latch just enough to see the indention in it, push the cylinder in (with the key in it) and the peg on the back of the cylinder lined up with the indention on the latch, turn the key and it will click into place.

1936 GMC T-14 low cab. TA for 1935-37 GMC, Director of the Gulf Coast Region
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
dunfire, thank you for the instructions, just replaced my broken cylinder with a new one for my 1936 Chevy Master.

Never hurt to search, 3 years later it came in handy.

Gratitude,

Marco SR

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.