Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#402935 02/01/18 08:54 PM
SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Anyone try the wireless turn signals from Egypt Garage, or similar? Always wonder if anyone understands hand signals, or pays attention, and seems like an interesting solution.

Here’s the link www.theegyptgarage.com

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I have been looking at Signals to do on my 1929, found a set I am going to test and try along with a column mounted switch. also plan on doing a third brake light

in regards to you were looking at:
This product is not intended to take the place of legally-required hand signals and is not sold to take the place of turn signals. Please drive carefully and legally at all times.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
A very good friend installed LED conversion kits from The Filling Station in my rear tail lights and they are very bright . My car is a standard so with out cowl lights he converted the park lamp in the headlamp to a double contact and one is the turn signal. The switch I used was their VT-3 and while it list for 6 or 12 volt the indicator comes with a 12V bulb and on 6v is barely visible as the lens is a very dark green. My friend who is a master mechanic/electrician converted the bulb to an LED and I replaced the lens with a semi-clear plastic one and now it is bright. The switch wires were run thru a loom and thru the cowl where the free wheeling cable would be but i do not have it installed-just the knob in the dash for appearances. Also had to add a R.H. rear tail light by converting a L.H. bracket but now I don't mind driving in traffic . At least not because of the turn signals.

Steve D
rjp Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I looked at some about 2 years ago. The ones that I wanted were magnetic mounted and you could go from car to car. I really liked but not the price by now they might be more reasonable in price

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I don't think those lights are available any more....... bananadead
I love the idea of these except for no brake lights.
I have everything I need for a wired system for my '32 which ties into the brake light switch so I'll everything a modern car has except for self canceling.
I don't know HOW many times I've arrived at my driveway in my '27 Model T Tudor with the signals still flashing...... hood

SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I do plan to go with the LED conversion for the tail and brake light before spring. I had thought about using the cowl lights for front signals and adding the right rear taillight, but will either need to find a light assembly with similar patina to the left, or replace the left as well. Just looking at options. Thanks

rjp Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Might look a tail light for bikes

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I talked to a company about various options

Electro-Tech
This is the switch I am going for, Greg, owner and operator is a great guy, have talked with him several times about his product and freely answers questions and provides recommendations. his control box will work with his switch, or a simple toggle switch. 6 or 12v and pos or neg ground it does not care :) has a beep if you want it, hazard function and love the timeout option. As long as you HOLD your foot on the brake, it will NOT time out. this way if you are stuck at an intersection it will not cut off after default timeout setting. the switch they sell is a nice aluminum one, plain or black, simple and sleek !! will work with LED or incandescent bulbs. that is a plus. will also work nicely with the BrakeLighter Below, which I also plan to add.

Found some nice simple LEDs that are 6v and may work. I am working with them to validate if they will work for my purpose. I am going to get one and test to see if it will work, the Tech guy has eben very helpful and willing to work with me to validate. IF we can get it to work, then they can market them for this purpose. which i think will be a huge perk. they are very similar to the LogLights in their design, but do NOT have the voltage requirements. only 6v !! only draw back is they are SEALED units, so can not pop em open and tinker or modify !! have to replace as a whole unit.

BrakeLighter
this is the third brake light i was looking at. simple easy install, can suction cup it in and remove when not needed. can be wired to work with your turn signal which is a cool feature. Looks nice, and has a simple clean install the instruction are pretty straight forward and clear.

LogoLites
they make a really nice LED kit, jut not a fan of the control mechanism, i prefer a classic signal with vs a control bot with buttons.
also learned that their control box and lights are a high voltage style ? it has a transformer or such inside that raises the voltage to work the lights. think it is 24v or something like that. as I asked about using the lights on another signal switch, and they said it would not work, or would be very faint. You have to use their entire system. also talked to a few guys that tried to use their lights elsewhere, and they did not work or barely worked. so they sell a complete system that only works on their controller. I love how they mount and plan to use this concept for mounting mine, if they fit between the bars, or will mount above or below double bars on my 1929. has electronic module that controls flashing, timing, and such.

6v Turn Signal Switch With LED Turn Park & Brake Lights
nice kit, uses a classic flasher module, and vintage style switch. includes most everything you need. like the dual color LED red and clear for rear, amber & clear for front.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
On my 31' I wired in a 7 wire signal switch to my harness. I altered the single filament cowl lights to dual filament bulbs and use the cowl lights for the front directional lights. I installed a second right optional tail light so I have two tail lights. I run the original 6 volt bulbs and the plastic lenses (had glass before) and my tail lights are very bright. I would assume a lot has to do with the housings being in excellent condition and reflecting more than original housings. I would think simply painting the inside with the new chrome paint would add to the brightness.

On the new wiring harness I purchased from YNZ for my 32' Olds, I opted for the hidden electronic directional control. This control is activated by a three way momentary toggle switch which can be placed under the edge of the dash board, out of sight but easily accessible. It has many of the features BearsFan15 talks about above. The olds has fender mounted parking lights and two tail lights standard. The front fender lights will function as front directionals when the switch is activated and the rear brake light bulbs function as directionals in the rear.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I like having some type of indicator lamp as too often on tours I have followed someone with a turn signal left on for miles.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
That's where a momentary switch like Christech did comes in - the signals are only on when your hand is on the switch. As soon as you let go it's turned off.Super simple.

Some good ideas overall.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Some great ideas to consider! I guess the first step now is to find an arm and tail light assembly for the right hand side.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
A momentary switch is just that-should be used for a moment-such as a quick blink of the lights.Sometimes the turn signals need to be on for a little longer. Plus it leaves you with one hand steering . I do like the set up that Bearsfan is considering though it is a little pricey.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Once the contact is made, a momentary switch can be left on as long or as short as needed. It's just designed to automatically return to it's off state without input from the operator.
The one handed steering could indeed be a hassle. I was picturing sitting at an intersection but would be really poor if you are still moving on an approach to a turn like a driveway. I hadn't considered that...

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Actually, the electronic system on my 32' Olds harness is adjustable for time on. In other words, you hit the momentary toggle switch and the pulse of the switch turns the electronic unit on in which turns on the selected side then stays on for a specific time you set. Mine I believe is already set for 40 seconds. If longer than 40 seconds is required you can just hit it again or hold it and it will keep it on until you hit it again.

Here's what I have:

http://www.store.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/turn-signal-relay-box-kit.html

Last edited by Chistech; 02/02/18 02:36 PM.
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It is certainly impressive how electronics can be of benefit for our old cars. Glad you posted the link as it is much different than the mechanical momentary switch. Can it be manually cancelled if desired?

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Controller I am looking at above:
* Operates on all cars - 6 or 12 volts, Positive or Negative Ground.
* Self Cancel feature uses time and lack of brake signal to know when to cancel.
* Timeout user adjustable for 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds. Factory set for 15 seconds. Turn signal will not time out with the brakes applied.
* Audible beep on turn - user selectible for On/Off.

* Easy installation with included instructions, wiring diagrams and terminal labels on control.
* Fail safes with brake and park lights still functional even with blown turn signal control fuse or no power to the control box.
* Can operate with combined brake and turn lights or separate brake and turn lamps in rear of car.
* Can share front Park or Fog lights for front turn signals.
* Flash rate independent of lamp load. Will flash LED lamps or incandesent lamps at the same rate.
* 4-way Hazard function.
* Choice of machined aluminum column switch in brushed natural, black, under dash toggle or user supplied switches.
* Controller can use any style momentary switches to access all control functions.
* 10 pin European style screw terminal connector pre-wired for power, ground and signal switch plug.
* Internal 15 amp turn function fuse and separate Park and Brake circuit 10 amp fuses.
* Quick disconnect of control box for easy service. Simply unplug the 10 pin connector.

I like the brake function that the signal will stay on no matter what as long as you hold brake, that way waiting 3 minutes to turn the signal is still active with out user interaction.

actually looks like the one Ted (Chistech) and I am referencing for controller are made by the same people, looking at them closer !!

Last edited by BearsFan315; 02/02/18 03:18 PM.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by Chistech
On the new wiring harness I purchased from YNZ for my 32' Olds, I opted for the hidden electronic directional control. This control is activated by a three way momentary toggle switch which can be placed under the edge of the dash board, out of sight but easily accessible. It has many of the features BearsFan15 talks about above. The olds has fender mounted parking lights and two tail lights standard. The front fender lights will function as front directionals when the switch is activated and the rear brake light bulbs function as directionals in the rear.
the PO had already bought an installed a NEW wiring harness from Rhode Island, IF i would have ordered one i would have opted for signal lines included and secluded so you can not really see them.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for posting BearsFan.

"When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground".
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I would have bought my Olds harness from RIW if they had it. They didn't and I went with YnZ but don't like their harnesses as much. They didn't use original style metal twist locks at the cowl to frame junction (the 32' olds body basically unplugs from all the chassis wiring except for the generator cutout wire which has to be disconnected from the cutout) but instead used modern crimp type single pin plug connectors. Their instructions are not done as well either. They're slightly more expensive and my 10-12 week quote went to 5 months. But, YnZ did offer the electronic directionals already wired in which RIW will also do. RIW wanted to make up a harness for me and were going to give me a discount if my harness was good enough for a pattern. The problem was less than 40% was still in the car.
On this electronic unit, I'm not sure if the directionals stay on if you hold the brake. I don't have the car up and running to even know and probably not for another 6-8 months before I do.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have a set on our 32...They work great and are easy to install and operate...

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I put a wireless system on my 31 and like it. Two bolts to the current license plate and one strap on the dash. Wala I don't have to worry about hand signals.

31 Chevy Roadster
64 Corvette
76 Corvette
77 Grand Prix
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Yep....Works great.

SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by GMGuyBob
I put a wireless system on my 31 and like it. Two bolts to the current license plate and one strap on the dash. Wala I don't have to worry about hand signals.
Originally Posted by 1932Confederate
Yep....Works great.

Was this from Egypt Garage, or someone else? Thanks

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
On my '31 Special Sedan restoration a few years back, I added an FS right tail light, FS led tail/brake light cards and a Brakelighter 3rd turn/brake light in the rear window. My car had cowl lights so I used them for the turn signals. I painted the bulbs orange with a couple of coats of craft ceramic paint from Michael's. It all works great, especially the rear brake and tail lights. I used the old standard column mounted switch. I'm not sure any of this will pass judging but it sure makes me feel a lot safer driving around in Dallas TX traffic.

Happy Motoring!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.