Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#401512 01/09/18 07:39 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I bought this lovely piece of history over Thanksgiving. All of the body work was done as were the mechanicals. There is a bunch of stuff to do to finish the car. So far I've tackled the electrolock and the clutch pedal. Onto the brakes.

The back brakes work though likely need adjustment. The front brakes have been completely redone by a previous owner and are in fine condition except that they are not connected. I spent a good bit of time today trying to figure out how to connect the cables. I figured out where they are supposed to connect, but not how to do it.

On the backing plate is a housing that the cable goes in. The linkage to the brake shoes looks like it should go in as well. In theory, I think that the cable should hook to the link inside the housing and the quarter sized disk should slide along the backing plate when the brakes are applied.

Some questions:
1. I can't figure out how to get the link into the housing. The end of the cable end of the link rotates freely but does not seem to be removable. The housing has two holes, one for the cable and (presumably) the other for the link. How does one get the link through the hole?

2. Is the quarter sized disk supposed to rotate freely?

3. Is there supposed to be a clip that hold the cable to the link, or does the housing do the job of keeping the cable connected?

Thanks for any help.

-Glenn

This post is guaranteed to be 100% content free!
'31 Special Sedan
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The end of the cable fits into the slightly tapered hole in the die-cast housing. The linkage rod fits into the other. They are connected together in a rectangular slotted block with two longitudinal holes. One hole has a taper where the cable end fits. The grooved rod has the axle of the wheel holding it in place. There no need for a clip to hold the end of the cable in place. Tension on the brake rods is all that is necessary. A little water resistant grease helps the wheel to rotate and other parts move more easily.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the answer, but my quandry was how to get the link arm into the housing. At any rate, I showed the front brake to a contractor that is doing work on our house. He started messing with the disk and quickly realized that if that is removed, the cable connector comes off the arm and then the arm can be slipped into the housing. Took him all of 30 seconds to figure it out.

'31 Special Sedan
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Do you have a 1931 Chevrolet Repair Manual? If not you can purchase one in reprint from the Filling Station. www.fillingstation.com

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I suspect the front cables on my '32 are similar to your '31.
Once it's off, the mechanism is pretty straight forward. Hard to screw up. laugh
[Linked Image from s26.postimg.org]

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the pic. That's exactly how mine looks. Problem was that the round disk was almost frozen on the driver's side and completely frozen on the passenger side. That and not knowing how it was supposed to work... At any rate, the drivers side is done. Had to use PB Blaster and then heat to get the passenger side free. Now it's clean and lubed. Just need to put it on tomorrow. That shouldn't take too long now that I've done one side.

'31 Special Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
What is your email address. I'll send you a file for everything you ever wanted to know about 31 Breaks.

Peter

My Chevy is over 70 years old and still running great. I hope I keep running cuz I just turned 81 !!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
These things are still giving me trouble. I ordered new cables and expected them to be easy to install. So a couple more questions that are addressed in the service manual.

1. The end that goes to the front wheel - Should the cable be pressed into the housing? If not, what keeps them from moving around?
2. The clamp on the chassis that holds the other end of the cable - Is it supposed to be tight around the cable? If so, how?

Thanks for the help.

'31 Special Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to Chip's help, I installed the cables yesterday.

'31 Special Sedan
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
As jyd suggested, get the service manual. I got into these old chevys about 3 yrs ago and followed most everyone’s advice and purchased the repair and parts manuals. They’ve allowed me to learn a wealth of information on these cars when I’ve needed it while providing me with just some good reading when I haven’t. They are well worth the small investment.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hey, no more automatic horse pooping when I type “jyd”? wazzup

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, I guess that it disappeared when "Chevy Chatter" was changed over to the new system. Billy Boy Barker put that icon on Chevy Chatter years ago and it only showed up when you typed JYD.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The service manual was the first thing that I bought after I got the car. When i bought the car, the front brakes were not connected - the cables were dangling so to a nubie, it was impossible to tell exactly what was what. The manual offered no details.

'31 Special Sedan
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Yep and "member only" forums aren't highlighted any longer when you look at Active Topics. Lots of adjustments have occurred.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Yep and "member only" forums aren't highlighted any longer when you look at Active Topics. Lots of adjustments have occurred.
mad

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
mine is a 32 but i am having the same problem i would love to have that file thanks wayne lave@cogeco.ca

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (NeilA, jp49), 70 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.