Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#400976 01/01/18 03:07 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, I have just joined this forum so excuse if post is not correct protocol .
I have purchased a 36 Roadster which is in Cape Town South Africa .I understand these cars weren't made in the US or Canada in 36 . I a told they were possibly imported from Brazil but not confirmed . I would appreciate if anyone has any history as to where these cars were made / assembled and why no US models . This is a right hand drive specifically for the SA market .I would like to post a photo but cant work out where the upload button is for jpegs ?
Thanks Farrol

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Welcome to Chatter.
I am in Australia and all the information I can find says that no US plants produced RHD, that happened in Canadian or other plants. Australian models arrived in 3 main forms ranging from "rolling chassis" with bodies built here, "CKD and packed in a small box" or as a complete drivable car. I believe NZ had similar arrangements and suspect that may have happened in South Africa as well though I dont know where the assembly was done.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
because .....Canada ...Australia...south Africa..... England are all members of the british commonwealth. The taxes were significantly lower on a Canadian produced car and even lower if the country had an assembly plant.

CKD which stands for COMPLETE KNOCKED DOWN, was a chassis with driveline installed. Fenders , hood, rad shell, gas tank, bumpers , dash , ect were all shipped in boxes. If the country was RIGHT HAND DRIVE , then the chassis would be RHD equipted.

Australia had GM HOLDEN in 1925 to make their own main bodies. New Zealand also had an assembly plant for a short time.
South Africa had an assembly plant.
England not sure but I would assume they also had an assembly plant.

If you google GM assembly plants around the world like I did one day, you will be surprisd what you can learn.

Argentina had an assembly plant in Buenos Aries up until the last few years. I assume they supplied most of south America with cars. Until 1939 they were right hand drive and then in 1940 switched over to left hand drive.
The Buenos Aries plant was supplied by the USA shipped from their Tarrytown NY plant which is GM plant #2 as first letter on a firewall or floor plate.

My 1935 Chevrolet standard roadster was from Argentina

mike lynch........."the real & original madmike3434"

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
what we need to determine is whether you have purchased a roadster or a convertible ?

A roadster does not have roll up side windows , but snap in cloth side curtains. The windshield frame & glass pivots out.

A Convertible or Cabriolet has side glass windows that roll up and down . The windshield is generally fixed in place.

mike hood

Last edited by mike_lynch; 01/02/18 12:08 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
there was a company in Europe called GLASNER that produced roadster bodies for Chevrolet.

Need to see a picture of the car....also you need to post in the 1933--1936 Chevrolet section. It would need a boss or moderator to transplant this to there.

mike lynch

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Mike... the European coach builder you are thinking of is Gläser. They were a specialty body company and supplied bodies for many makes including Chevrolet and even Ford.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ah, drop the N and get correct spelling minus the euro horns on top of one letter.

Until we see a picture of it, his car, then we are just guessing.

mike

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for your feedback Mike Lynch and others .
I think its the Argentinian model as a guy in South Africa says they shipped them across the Atlantic into Cape Town .

Can anyone explain how to upload photo here . I cant see see any upload or attach button ?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
For uploading a photo click on "FAQ & HELP" at the top of this forum list page. Then click on "How do I add an image to my message?"

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Note: Posted for Farrol Goldblatt as a courtesy while he awaits his membership verification to arrive.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
no doubt about it that's definitely a roadster. It has a USA style windshield frame , 3 sides metal bottom side glass .

A GM Holden Australia facility the windshield would be 4 sides of metal , have a Lion plaque on the outside cowl section.

Does not appear to be a GLASER European built body. If this was built in USA at Tarrytown NY there should be a tag on the floor or on the seat riser nailed or riveted.

If the car was assembled in Argentina at GM Buenos Aries facility it would be right hand drive up to 39 . No idea where their builders identity tag would be, but I have to assume would be same as USA on the floor.

pretty car
mike lynch Agrin

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike is correct to my knowledge, Holden bodies had the lion and ball badge on the lower left cowl between the door and rear corner of the hood. This 1 may have been removed during a repaint.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks guys for the feedback .I will be travelling to South Africa early Feb to arrange paperwork and sort out shipping so will have a chance to look for some ID around the engine and floor plate

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I hope the car has the original firewall or floor tag which will allow you to identify the plant that produced it and also where it came from originally.

Gives authenticity to the purchase. Make sure all your paperwork for importing it into England is all up to date. You want a smooth transition without hassles.

mike lynch Agrin

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi 36roadsterSA, you should of seen your roadster and hopefully had it shipped by now. I was the lady with the 34 Roadster at Sarratt on Boxing Day, that you spoke to.
Saw this chat online and have had to sign up as would be interested in finding out more about my pride and joy if possible. Will be looking at joining the VCCA as well and will then post pictures.

Miss_Daisy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.