Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just the other day had seen a 1934 Chevrolet Roadster Holden Body car posted for sale for 29k, converted to left-hand drive. It has mostly original paint. Original leather, needs a new top as it is in very poor condition. I emailed the guy to see if it was still for sale with no response! That is only the 2nd Holden Australia 1934 Roadster while the other one was posted for sale awhile back and listed in Australia!
Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard Holden Body Roadster
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
does any of these include your 1934 GM Chevrolet Holden roadster. ???

Are you working on yours to mod it ? sounded like it in a prior post.

just checked Barrett Jackson for Arizona January, you might be interested in finding out quality and selling price of 1934 ford touring listed auction # 784-1 .

mike lynch

roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike no that does not include mine of which would be (3) Holden Bodied cars of my knowing in existence!

I had it on the market for the last 2 years just trying to save a bit of history with only a few interest! Hell or high water would NOT sell my car for 20k! That is what the market looks today!

I have been also watching and following the market for these era cars for the last 2 years and it does not look good at all!

Supply and demand for these old cars whether it be stock and original or hot rodded out! The supply is over whelmed with passing away of these huge car collector’s estates flooding the market plus all of these brand new 30’s hot rods with all brand new parts and not one piece is a 30’s vintage part! These cars have been closing out for half of the asking price and worth every $$$ of the full asking price!

Plus there is no demand with this new generation and have NO interest in these great cars original or hot rodded at all!

Will it get better in the future? I would have to say that is a big fat NO!

Mike you are correct! So yes I am now building a custom built 1934 Chevy Standard frame built all boxed, tubular x members, Tubular IFS suspension with a 4 link Ford 9 inch rear suspension. I am looking at 10k for the rolling frame! With an estimate of around 40k in parts alone. When it is done it will still look like an original 1934 Chevy Roadster! With NO date period on any parts that I will use for this build project! I just might even do a two tone burgundy/copper pearl paint with glossy black fenders. Just to keep all or some of the PURIST somewhat happy!

I want to drive this car to venues in the North East and maybe even farther! I have a very nice 18 foot car/equipment 7,000 lb trailer but would NEVER EVER put one of my cars on it only if one had ever had a break down! These cars need to be driven NOT TRAILERED! But that is just me!

I just tried to find that car you had mentioned 1934 ford touring listed auction # 784-1 and am not able to find it at all in this upcoming big auction in January 2018!

Can you send me a bit more info or a link?

Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard Holden Body Roadster
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
sent you ....kevin le compe ?? the link to the B J auction #784-1

you go to docket, then click on the automobiles for auction or something like that and then keep scrolling down list until you get to it

mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
last time I remember a HOLDEN standard roadster 1934 or 35 sold was on ebay a few years ago......less than 4.? It had a silver body with burgundy fenders and was in the Illinois Wisconsin area. I think it was original driveline.
They are difficult to spot unless you know the few body differences to look for.

The only 34-35 std roadster I have seen street rodded was a drive by picture from a California meet, L A roadsters? Was in hotrodhotline.com . Dark blue with black fenders and McClean chrome wire wheels. I believe it was the Canadian car from out west in Alberta that got sold to a guy in Oregon , who I could not find.

mike lynch hood

roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike I did go to the upcoming 2018 auction docket scrolled down and there were only (3) 1934 Cars listed with none of them a 34 Ford like you had mentioned!
Rory

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I sent you a direct link by email to the auction for the 34 ford touring, did you not get it ????? and here it is

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1934-FORD-PHAETON-4-DOOR-212606

mike

Last edited by mike_lynch; 12/28/17 10:12 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ROARA......you were wondering how many 34 Chevrolet HOLDEN built bodies they produced in Australia.
1934 Chevrolet standard roadster.......31
1935 Chevrolet standard roadster.......294

1934 Chevrolet standard touring/phaeton.........89
1935 Chevrolet standard touring/phaeton ....... 647

mike lynch hood

roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike thanks for that link and no I did NOT get your email on this site! Maybe the Elf's blocked it out! LOL! Just a thought!

Mike I want to thank you for all of your info with these early Chevy Cars!

WOW 31 produced of that year of 1934 Chevrolet Australian Standard Roadster body’s! It is funny that they built 3 times more of the Phaetons as the Roadsters that year.

Believe me I did my best the last 2 years on the market to save a bit of history!

I am now so glad I did not sell it because I know I could NEVER find one or replace it with far so few at almost 84 years old!

Checked out this upcoming 2018 Barrett & Jacksons docket list of cars and there does not seem to be as good of a selection as the most recent in Las Vegas! Had seen a 1932 Chevy Confederate seemed all total restored on the list we will see how that one goes plus I believe it was a 1955 Chevy Nomad which caught my attention!

How do they work it on the price range the first day are the low end prices and with each day goes by the price range increases each day?

Rory

Last edited by roara; 12/29/17 09:42 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
your welcome. I did send an email with the info to what I thought was you...Kevin LeCompe.

Anyway, yes, Barrett Jackson prices starting Monday are the supposed cheapest listings that they figure will fetch the least amount, based on the quality of the car/truck. Continuing thru to Friday nite after 6pm to 10 pm bigger money and Saturday after 4 pm with big big money cars around the 8--10 time.

If you spend all week watching it , you soon get the gist. Plus you get to hear the announcers say......"you could not restore that car for 1/2 of that" ? Many to most of the cars runs thru under NO RESERVE and people thinking oh ya auction company says it should fetch this amount and gooollli it gets a whole lot less . Your stuck paying the 10% ? auction fee but only on the selling amount. Putting your car in an auction with no reserve, might as well play Russian Roulette. Its rare for them to allow a car to run thru with a reserve......for BJ anyway.

Okay Australia production, I was surprised about the roadsters vs phaeton production too.

Re your 34 roadster, you said you had a couple of trade offers for it, bad trades ??? As you know these cars are not fetching the kind of $$$ of 10 years ago and maybe we have to face it .

When I leave this planet I will still own the cars and my son will get all 3 of them.

mike lynch........"the real & original madmike3434"

roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Also I believe that auction fees increases each day!

Yes it’s a gamble I will pass on this big game! The Stock Market is about all I can deal with!

They must had needed more seating for bigger Family’s to work the Farms!

One guy out in Washington State had a 34 Chevy panel delivery all hot rodded out for a trade of mine it was well over the top with his taste of a car which I did not like and I believe was well over 200k for his car and me to pay out the difference! I passed!

Another was 30 acres up in Northern Ottawa Canada in trade for my car!

Maybe we could have been neighbors! Drinking BEER talking old car story's!

Also there was a few VCCA members that wanted to trade there early Chevys hot rods for mine! I had to pass of not my liking!

Plus a few more trades and not to my liking!

It was funny I had to report this one SCAM to Hemmings. This guy had a long story he was overseas in the military, off the grid with a top secret operations with no information about him at all that he could give me and had wanted my car shipped to his Kentucky home after he had mailed me a what he said was a bank check!

I forwarded that contact and emails over to Hemmings!

Yes you are correct this market is in a downward trend stock & originals and hot rods! So we should all enjoy our cars today as there just might not be a tomorrow!

Great to keep it in the Family!

Rory

Last edited by roara; 12/30/17 12:23 AM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
our roadsters are 4 passenger with the rumble seat.......do not know if an auzzie built roadster has the rumble seat as STANDARD EQUIPMENT .

I am about 250 miles west of Ottawa on lake Ontario beside Oshawa the GM main factory, where your trader is. Ottawa is the Washington of Canada.........full of politicians who are trying to turn us all into dope smokers as of july 2018. All about the Benjamin's in taxes. Nobody trust worthy in that area.

That's the thing with trades , always hard to do equal value and both people wanting a car they truly desire. Or else you swap for something you do not want , but are able to sell it easily to get cash you want. That's the best scenario and the best way to move the roadster.

Or build it as I am doing and finally drive and enjoy it. Your not going to run into another at a cruise nite or a large northeastern meet.

mike lynch "the real & original madmike3434"

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by mike_lynch
our roadsters are 4 passenger with the rumble seat.......do not know if an auzzie built roadster has the rumble seat as STANDARD EQUIPMENT .

I am about 250 miles west of Ottawa on lake Ontario beside Oshawa the GM main factory, where your trader is. Ottawa is the Washington of Canada.........full of politicians who are trying to turn us all into dope smokers as of july 2018. All about the Benjamin's in taxes. Nobody trust worthy in that area.

That's the thing with trades , always hard to do equal value and both people wanting a car they truly desire. Or else you swap for something you do not want , but are able to sell it easily to get cash you want. That's the best scenario and the best way to move the roadster.

Or build it as I am doing and finally drive and enjoy it. Your not going to run into another at a cruise nite or a large northeastern meet.

mike lynch "the real & original madmike3434"

Hi Mike, Every Holden bodied car in our club i've seen to date has had a Rumble Seat as standard fitment

my 1933 it was standard fitment

-Tom

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
According to my information there were 222 Sports roadsters and 259 Business (2 passenger) roadsters built in 1934 in the standard series and I would estimate at least 30 to 40 survive. In 1935 they built 294 Sports roadsters and 375 Business roadsters. Survival rates would be a little higher than the 1934s.

RonDaw
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
345 chevy................according to a printout I have on HOLDEN Australia Chevrolet production open cars

1934.............Standard series roadster......................31 xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1935 standard series roadster..............294

1934............standard series tourer...........................89 xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1935 standard series tourer................. 647

1934 .......... master series roadster........................390 xxxxxxxxxxxx 1935 master series roadster.................161

1934 ..........master series tourer.............................461 xxxxxxxxxxx 1935 master series tourer.......................213

NOTE master tourings 1934 were only produced in Australia..........also 1933 standard roadsters only in Australia

Source HMBB Body Deliveries, calendar year may 10 1944

Does not include roadster pickups or UTES as you call them

mike lynch

Last edited by mike_lynch; 02/06/18 01:40 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Your list comes from Norm Darwins History of Holden since 1917 book but as well as the numbers you quote there are also (in 1934) 191 Mercury sports roadsters and 259 Commercial roadsters listed. Giving a total of 481 which includes the 31 you quote which are listed as Std roadsters. For 1935 there are 294 Mercury Sports and 375 Commercial roadsters listed, giving a total of 669. The Mercury name does not seem to have been used in 1933 but here in Australia it does come up from time to time in the 1934-1935 series although never in advertising. I think it was just an in factory term.

RonDaw
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ALL this talk of 33 CHEVROLET "MERCURYS", your going to get Joe Iaccino going nuts. Now your saying you have 34 mercurys too.

No factory literature that I have calls anything a Mercury. Its wrong to call it that, if never existed.

Repeat, there is no such thing as a 1933 Mercury standard series Chevrolet. Never ever been anything in advertising with that name used by Chevrolet Motors or GM.

The list I believe came to me from Mark Taylor in Cleveland Queensland Australia who has a 1935 Chevrolet standard series touring Holden produced.

Okay, whats a COMMERCIAL ROADSTER ????
Okay whats a MERCURY SPORTS ??

Our roadsters standard series were only produced as 4 seaters "sports roadsters" having a rumble seat or whatever its called down there, dickey ?

too me a commercial roadster would be one of your roadster pickups the UTE ???

Anyway I rest my case..................mike

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
In my last post I mentioned that I have never seen any reference to 1933 Mercury series Stds. I have however seen body tags on 1934 Stds stamped MERC. which one would assume is short for Mercury. I still have an original roof lining (outer) from a 1935 Std sedan that has the words Chev Merc written in chalk on the underside. What happened in the USA and Canada is not always what happened in the rest of the world as you well know. As I stated I have never seen the name Mercury used in any advertising and I have gone through all the period newspaper ads and announcements. The list of bodies built by Holden does refer to Mercury series in 1934 and 1935 only. I did not make it up .It is there in print. A Commercial roadster is another name for a business roadster(2 passenger) with a boot ( trunk) instead of a dickey (rumble) seat. A Mercury roadster is a normal sports roadster. As for the open utilities General Motors in Australia referred to them as a Utility with either a roadster front or Coupe front. Basically a roadster Utility or a Coupe Utility, not roadster pickups. I think we have seen enough of people trying to rewrite history and you dont want to do that do you?

Last edited by 345chevy; 02/07/18 04:04 AM.

RonDaw
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I am not sure what you are trying to rest your case on, but Commercial Roadsters in Australia were the same as a Sports Roadster only they had a boot (trunk) and only seated two people whereas the Sport Roadster had a dickie seat (rumble seat) and was capable of seating four people. Absolutely nothing to do with "Roadster Pickups the UTE" as you referred to it. We actually call "Utes" either Coupe Utilities if they have a hardtop or Roadster Utilities if they have a folding roof like a Roadster.
I have met Mark Taylor and am sure that he accepts that 345chevy would know more about 1933 to 1935 Holden Bodied Chevrolets than anyone else that he knows in Australia but am not sure of any other experts especially in Canada but am interested in learning more about Holden Bodied Chevrolets.

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
okay, Australia offered two styles of 34-35 standard DC EC series roadsters, with rumble seat and without . Called sport and commercial. Have not seen that written before..

I have also seen pictures of the two types of UTES, roadster and coupe types.

Australians have a way with words to describe something. Carbie, boots, dickey seat. Its like trying to converse with a person from Newfoundland who has a language unto themselves . Throw in a Cajun persons French/English mix and it can be fun.

I am not an expert, just another hobbiest looking at and collecting information for my own use.

mike

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike
No disrespect meant but I have the same sort of reverse fun deciphering the American terminology, though I think I am slowly getting it sorted. You will probably change it all tomorrow to throw me off the track.
I refer to vehicles like the El Camino and Silverado as a ute (utility) and the body styles with option "rumble" or "dickie" seat as a coupe wether they have a seat or the closed luggage compartment or the open box option. I have not seen to box option here in Aus but I havent seen all that was available here either.

Tony

Last edited by tonyw; 02/08/18 03:00 AM.

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
TONY---To the best of my knowledge the UTE terminology is strictly Australian. The Chevrolet El Camino 1959--1987 design was probably taken from the AU Coupe UTES. Ford had their Ranchero 1957--1980?

The rumble seat is what its always been called here. A trunk is a trunk here, no boots, have to blame the limeys for that. Used to be on the HEADER to site here, pictures of a grey coupe 38-39 ? with a pickup box sticking out of the trunk. Weird, I guess USA chev stylers were watching AUSTRALIA again.

I always fancied having a 34-35 standard UTE roadster pickup, using the front seating area of a Phaeton and a pickup box on the rear. Made for a smoother looking car/truck. I believe that is what Glenn Stauffer of Jekyll Island Florida was selling once in the late 70s.

Originally here in North American the Ranchero began as a Funeral Flower car sometimes in the early 50's.

I purchased an El Camino 1975 brand new, black with skunk stripes on sides, SS version, came with the optional 454 engine producing an earth shaking 220 hp............LMAO. Got 6--9 mpg in city and 12-14 mpg highway. Factory gears were around 2.90 which gave you no bottom end. End result, it was a dog at the gas pumps and performance was terrible. You would have to change the pistons , camshaft, timing chain, cylinder heads for 1970 parts in order to actually enjoy the car.

Yes the 454 engine option was only available in Canada in 1975.

I would without a doubt say it was the absolute worst vehicle I ever purchased from Generous Motors.

mike lynch

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The "trunk" area in the back of a stagecoach was called "the boot".

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
The "trunk" area in the back of a stagecoach was called "the boot".

laugh wink beer2

The British at work again as they tried to control North America thru their language before they smartly went home and stayed there.

The BOOT could also be a Western historical reference to what the British did to the French in North America. Unfortunately they left us split with 2 cultures which still plagues us to this day !

mike lynch

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The word " Boot" is commonly used in North American cars and is used to describe the cover on a convertible top. Whilst it is a collapsible item it is still used as a storage unit. I suppose it could in theory be called a " Top Trunk". A Hood in the USA and Canada covers the engine but in other countries it covers the occupants. Neither is incorrect. In my 1942 issue of Chevrolet six car and truck by Victor Page on page 555 is a rear shot of a 1935 Master Deluxe showing the details including the rear fenders which he calls mudguards, the same term that is used to this day in Australia. My 1923 Franklin parts book also calls them mudguards so once again both terms are correct. Things just evolve in different ways in different countries and sometimes within the same country.

RonDaw
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 73 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.