Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My 33 still has the starterator system, the one with the gas pedal and starter all on one pedal. It is a little scary to me having the two together and when accelerating or going up a hill, I have thought I heard the starter try to kick in.

I want to separate the two and have just a floor push button for the starter. I have seen a kit for doing this, but looked around and can't seem to find it.

Anyone know who sells the floor push button and rod for this?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You could also verify that the vacuum operated lever retraction system for the starterator linkage is working,and repair it if it isn't.

Maybe it just needs some lube.

Doug

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
'Sorry, 'not familiar with the conversion kit you mention, but mine was not working at all. 'Found the vacuum controller diaphram was defective. I just recently sent it off to the Filling Station for repair for $49. 'Have not installed it yet. 'Believe that is all I will need to do, unless it also needs adjustment. 'Hope this is helpful. (I also like the idea of the separate floor button. I'm thinking that may have been on standard models...???).

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The starterator will not cause the starter to operate when vacuum is low etc. as long as the engine is running. The diaphragm in the control pulls the lever away. Under hard acceleration the linkage is past the catch point so it will not operate under that low vacuum condition. When operating properly is if a great feature.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I didn't have the starterator Parts for my 33 Master so I used the floor pedal assembly from a 36 standard that I had if my memory is correct. It bolted right on with no modifications.
I think that is right, if not it was off a 37 pickup engine.

Ed
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a solenoid that mounts on the starter in place of the original switch activated via the starterator linkage.

The normal switch mounted on the starter and only the one link that goes from the area by the vacuum unit to the original stitch were removed and replaced with the solenoid prior to me buying my 1933 Master back in 1970.

This solenoid works great and is activated by a push button switch mounted on the left side of the dashboard.

I actually have a spare unit that I found at the Fall Hershey flee market several years ago.

The unit is part number SK2 made by PREFERRED. The box says it is for 1937 and earlier Chevrolets and Plymouths. Included in the box is everything needed to install to include the solenoid, push button switch, wire from switch to solenoid, and a bracket to mount the switch along the bottom edge of the dash if you don't want to put a hole in your dashboard.

Since it is nearly impossible to post pictures on this website I will post some in the Chevrolet folder found in the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) forum.

Visit my website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1964 Vespa VNB5T Scooter
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.