Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#398688 11/23/17 09:32 PM
Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
First Happy Thanksgiving. OK i am getting ready to put my 235 in my 37. My question is what is the best or easiest way to get the u-joint, tube ball ,splines together . I know you need to adjust the shims on the torque tube ball to where you can just move it. Do you take it back apart put rear part of u-joint on spline with tube ball on drive shaft,install engine put u-joint together slide ball up bolt together and tighten or put u-joint together install tube ball and try to line up splines on the u-joint to drive shaft. Thanks for any help.

The Honer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
On my 38, I install the motor with the transmission attached. Then I connect the U joint, driveline and cover.

Adjusting the shims is done without the driveline up in place. After that you just assemble the whole thing.

Last edited by old216; 11/23/17 10:20 PM.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Was your rear end all ready in the car?

John

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Yes it was. This past year I had the motor out multiple times so I kind of got really good at the job!

Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the help I can move forward now,was not looking to remove or move back rear end . Engine has bell housing and trans on it now.

John

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Just to be clear, there is no reason to move the rearend back. I put the gasket in the tube collar, the cork ring in the housing,slip the housing over the end of the tube collar and then slide the whole works back on the torque tube. I find it necessary to restrain the front half of the universal in order to get the nuts threaded on. I put two housing bolt in on the diagonal corners. I then wrap a piece of wire around one bolt, loop it back behind the universal, pull it tight and wrap it around the other bolt.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Seems to me that you can put it back the way it comes out:

a. With positive reaward pressure on the front of the engine, assemble every thing but the U-joint bell.

b. Slide the bell back along the torque tube.

c. Align the end of the drive shaft to the end ot the universal joint.

d. Jadk up the rear end with one wheel on the ground/floor.

e. Slowly turn the wheel (that's up in the air) until the drive shaft slips into the rear yoke of the U-Joint.

f. Slip the bell in place and snucker-up the loose stuff.

Piece of cake and worked for me on my 41. Just think it through. And, you can do all this without any help.

Good luck,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.