Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#397790 11/05/17 10:56 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Installed new FS 90 degree pipe and hoses. Can't seem to tighten hose clamps (origonal. style) enough to prevent leaking. Anyone else have this problem? What is a fix? Also, When I trimmed the hose a bit to fit installation the interior of the hose has a somewhat brittle layer that breaks off in small chunks. I'm thinking I need a different make hose.

Enjoy when you can. Endure when you must.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I would get FS to send replacement hose. It should be firm but flexible.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Good day everyone
I had the same problem two years ago. The fs original style hose clamps were too big to clamp down on the hose. I reported the problem but it sounds like they didn’t follow up. My solution was just go th the hardware store and buy ones that fit.
Bye for now
Mike

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have new old stock, original type hose clamps on my car and they work fine. However, I have also heard from others that the reproduction original type of hose clamps are too big.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The reproduction style hose clamps I purchased from Chev of the 40's are too large. They barely hold the hose on the nipple even when screwed down completely. One heater hose and one radiator hose leak slightly.

I expect that FS and Chev of the 40's (as well as other classic part sources) use the same supplier.

As much as I like the original look I expect that I will have to go to different style clamp to prevent problems. I really like the new spring style clamps that keep constant pressure on the hose as it expands or contracts with heat and age.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
I have a set I just recently received from TFS, and some i got From Gary W. wondering if i will have leaking issues. I did NOT however buy my hose from TFS. I got a 36" section of Dayton wrapped hose, looks like the original, and seems to be in great shape. i had to loosen the clamps all the way up to get them to slid over the hose, they seem to fit snug on the hose ?!?

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The clamps fit ok and I am able to tighten them down. However, the clamp's straight slot screw design does limit the squeeze force. I just can't seem to tighten them enough to compress the hose to prevent leaking. Either the clamps cannot exert enough squeeze or the hose is too stiff to be deformed enough to make a good seal. A new hose and better clamps are next.

Thanks all.

Gary

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
There was a tread about this in the past. I remember they suggested using a sealant of some type and modern clamps for a period of time. Once the hose was seated and sealed they replaced the clamps, without disturbing the hose, with the repo clamps.

I have the same issue and will be giving it a try.

Dave

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have changed all my hose clamps to modern style due to leakage. I believe the hose construction is of a harder rubber and does not compress easily. They may be stronger than original with more reinforcing fabric while I believe the originals were a much more flexible and softer rubber.Modern radiator hose is made to withstand higher pressures of todays modern cars.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Did a comparison between old and new clamps.

Old Clamps. Band: 5/8" wide X .060 thick. Screw: 1/4" NC.
New Clamps. Band: 1/2" wide X .037 thick. Screw: 10-34.

Would appear old clamps are stronger and can apply greater compression to hoses to prevent leaks.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Went to NAPA and got some new radiator hose. What a difference. Nice and pliable compared to catalog hose. Installation was much easier as I didn't have to heat hose with heat gun to get it pliable enough to install. Put on some screw type clamps and filled with water. No leaks!!! Yea.

Catalog hoses were junk. Very stiff and inside layer (ply)cracked and chunked off when hose was squeezed or flexed. At least that was the case on what I got.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I would call TFS if that is who supplied the hoses and let them know. I am sure they would like to check their stock to prevent it from continuing to happen.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
I ended up getting Dayco 76125 - 36" Straight Radiator Hose
cut it to length, seems pretty pliable, easy to cut. see if it seals and holds up

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not sure where I got the hoses. Can't find receipt. Pretty sure it was not the Filling Station.

ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
When installing my Hose and Clamps i noticed that the NEW ones I got from TFS are thinner than the older set i got.

Hose Clamps Side by Side
Also noticed that they have totally different hardware. The NEW set on the left. Phillips drive hex head screws on left, round head slotted drive on right.Both are 10-24

The set on the left is approx .022" Thick and very flimsy where as when i tighten them up on the hose they distort badly, not even wrenching them down, can easily flex and bend with my fingers. the set on the right is approx .040" thick and a lot more sturdy, i can wrench these down and they do not distort. also the set on left is more of a zinc plated material, whereas the one on the right is a galvanized looking material.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Steve from The Filling Station here. Our source for hose clamps went out of business and we tried another supplier to keep up with the demand. These clamps, we agree, are unacceptable. We are pulling our stock and will give refunds to anyone that wants to return them. We have decided to make a proper reproduction clamp ourselves. However, this will take several months. We will make an announcement in our email newsletter when they are available. We are ordering 5,000 pieces of each clamp, so we won't be running out! Sorry to have made such a mess for everyone but we will get it fixed soon.

Regarding the hose, we use only new Gates wrapped hose. It is soft and pliable and definitely up to our standards. Not sure where he got the "junk hose", but I don't believe it was from us.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Thank you for taking action on this, Steve. Gary did say he is "pretty sure it was not from The Filling Station."

Bill Masters

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.