Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have to remove the crankshaft pulley so I can remove the timing cover. I would like to inspect the three gears.
I want to lift out the engine so where would be the easiest spot to disconnect it. Any help would be great. Thanks Mike

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Mike I recently removed the engine from my '25 sedan. I disconnected the ball joint at the rear of the transmission and removed the engine and transmission together. It was very easy when you have the hood and radiator off. I took off the bolt on stuff like the manifolds and generator assembly etc.first.

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That sounds good. I have the hood, the radiator,water pump and fan, oil pump, vacuum tank and carburetor all off now.I will remove the starter.Did you have to remove the steering column? Did you put the car up on stands? Thanks Mike.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike.
The 1922 engine and the 1925 engine are two different drive trains as the engine and gearbox on the 1922 is the same as 1918 thru 1924 are separate units whereas the 1925 has the gearbox connected to the engine at the clutch housing.
To get the 1922 engine out you disassemble the gearbox from its support and move it rearwards as far as possible on the propeller housing, disassemble the clutch/brakepedal mechanism and the rear motormounts, and also the front bolts from the front frame. then you can lift and move the engine forwards/up over the front frame by tilting it.
I may have some photos of when I took my engine out of my 1919 and 1924, contact me on my e-mail olles.rv6@telia.com

Olle

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I didn't have to remove the steering column. Ollie is correct; the '24 and older had a different set-up. He could lead you through the process better than I can. Also, take photos of as much as you can before disassembling anything. If something causes the project to stop you might need a photo to help remember how things went back together.Enjoy your project.

Steve
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It is not necessary to remove the steering column. I strongly recommend putting the car on stands, both rear and front.

If you need to remove the transmission I agree with Steve. If not, you can do as I did ten years ago. But I must tell you that I am an amateur! I have removed the engine just once, and that was my first engine removal in my then about 60+ year long lifetime (now 72).

So I removed the pedal axel and the V-shaped rear engine/transmission support and the the six bolts that keeps the clutch hub and the clutch hub drive together. When I removed the engine, with a good, movable support under the transmission, I could slide the engine forewards one inch or so, and then I lift it, with some degree of tilting down the rear end of the engine.

If you are going to remove the transmission, you can do as I did, I removed it after I had removed the engine. You can also do as Steve says, but I am not sure the construction of the U-joint is same on 1922 and 1925 models. Anyway, on 1922 model I have found that the process is quite tricky. After you have loosened the U-joint ball you can push the ball a little more than one inch backwards on the propeller shaft housing. Then you disassemble the U-joint, four bolts and nuts. Then you should be able to lower the propeller shaft enough to remove the transmission backwards.

If it is not possible to lower the propeller shaft, adjust the stands for the rear end, or just rise the rear end a bit with a jack, to press the springs enough, because then the propeller shaft moves backwards.

When you assemble the U-joint, wich is quite tricky, be careful to note the notch that shows how the parts must be put together. If you don't, maybe you cannot turn either the propeller shaft or the transmission. Guess how I know!

The clutch is in my opinion quite tricky to disassemble, so if it is not nessecary, maybe it is better to let it be on the engine when you remove the engine.

I have some pictures, let me know if you want me to sen them.

Good luck!

Per-Åke Larsson
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the advice.I have to remove the timing cover to see why the cam and distributor are not turning.Pistons are moving up and down. Transmission and clutch should be fine.This is my first attempt at removing and engine.What color should I paint the engine? Mike

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Would really like to see your pictures of the engine removal on the 1922 Chevy. Thanks Mike

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OK, send me an email, you'll find it on my profile.

Per-Åke Larsson
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Was able to remove the engine today. Thanks for all your help.Turns out the cam gear is stripped, the oil hole to the crank gear was plugged with dirt and the gears were dry. The crank and generator gears are steel so are good but the cam is fiber and teeth broke. I will need a new cam gear. Thanks Mike

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Mike you might be able to get a cam gear from Gary Wallace. Limited supply. (http://earlychevyparts.com/)Each timing gear is $195. The Filling Station is out of stock and not likely to restock they told me. Gary may be the only game in town. I just bought a set last week for my '25 I'm rebuilding.Good luck with your project.

Last edited by SSG26K; 11/03/17 12:51 AM.

Steve
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you. Will give Gary a call.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I believe I have a new four cylinder camshaft gear. If you give me dimensions and number of teeth I can check it. for you. Also bore diameter where it mounts. I am in Oshawa.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
There were two cam gears for four cylinder engines. 1916-26 used a 5/8" thick gear while '27-28 used a 13/16" gear. The correct gear would have 52 teeth and a 7/8" (.875") mounting bore hole. Originals were steel but most replacements are fiber.

Steve
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Cabboy
I have sent you an e-mail

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.